Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2nd rifle.

User

Default 2nd rifle.

I'm in the market for a second rifle. I currently own a 30-06 Musgrave and love it.

Any suggestions?

I'm not a "moerse jagter" though. I'm leaning towards a 22-250 or so.

But I'm also open for any suggestions.

Regards.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Default Re: 2nd rifle.

Seeing as this is the hunting section, it is logical to assume that you want it for hunting. What do you want to hunt with it? What terrain (think hunting distance) do you plan to hunt in?

User

I'll be hunting in the bushveld, not very very long distances. I think a kudu will be my biggest hunt, but Im sure the 30-06 should work there.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

User

A 22-250 is not really a bushveld hunting rifle. With cup and core bullets at bushveld distances, it will make a mess of the carcass. But its a nice caliber if you do some veldskiet or springbok hunting on the flats, or as a low (relative to 30-06) recoiling rifle for range work.

User

FYI, As a second rifle I bought a 204 Ruger. Its not a hunting rifle (although I have seen it used as such) but its an absolute blast to shoot. Very low recoil, so you can shoot all day.

Banned

You have a Kudu and bit bigger animal rifle that can also be used for anything smaller.
    If you leaning towards shooting at a lower cost, target, recreational shooting and perhaps vermin control then a .223. A cheap and fun caliber.
    If you see yourself hunting Impala, Springbuck,vermin and wanting to still get in some affordable practice then a .243. A very capable affordable caliber that shoots above its shoe size.
    If you just wanting to have fun and do some varminting the .204, because the little boy in every man will just love it.
    If you do not own a .22, you need one. You may not know this but you do.

If you 30 odd years old wear Ray Bans and drive a convertible get a 6.5.
    If you follow fads and fashions make the 6.5 a .........Creedmoor
    If it is a Ford convertible make it a 6.5 .......Creedmore^^^^

Do you reload?

If you want to shoot a lot a .223 is cheaper to run than a .22-250 in factory ammo and can still handle Impala size game if farmers will let you (some won't). If you reload the .22-250 shoots the same bullets, burns a bit more powder...
    If you reload and want a soft shooting cartridge that would be ideal for impala sized game, look at a 6.5 Grendel. Its a great little round. Something like a Howa Mini or CZ527 would be nice, Ruger also does the American Ranch in 6.5 Grendel. That said, I am not sure how common 6.5 Grendel ammo is in SA yet, hence my comment about reloading. SA Jagter magazine ran a 2 part article (Koos Barnard) about the Howa Mini 6.5Grendel a couple of years ago.
    If you want something more common, practical and better for a wider range of hunting - .243Win.

From a practical point of view its hard to beat a .243Win / .30-06 combo.

I bought a Sako 85 in 222rem just over a year ago.

using 50gr Vmax in it. That rifle is incredible to shoot. And very accurate caliber.

I honestly love that caliber.

223 is also good. But note the 222 will deliver more accuracy if your going to shoot on range mostly

Below I shot with 222 in wind aiming on left side of large red block on that center line. Was 3 shots @ 100m with Hornady 50gr Wmax with 23.68gr S321 at +-3150fps. Bumped sized the case and my OAL length was above standard by about 2mm as I loaded to just fir the magazine.

Attachment 32525

243 is fine if you wont be shooting plenty. As it will eat your barrels.

Is this for section 15 or 16?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast