Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Keeping my guns while living abroad?

Hi Everyone
    I've been absent here for a long time..
    Does anyone know if it is legally possible to own a firearm, while only having a residential address abroad? (while storing the firearm in SA, with the legal permission).
    Like if I move overseas, but want to keep my firearms in SA, for the time being.
    Any experience / pointers welcome.

Thanks

User

Default Re: Keeping my guns while living abroad?

Hi Sparky. 4 options I would say.
    1. Book your rifles in at gunsmith - but this will be expensive
    2. Convince family/friends that you install your safe in their house. Inform SAPS of this address. Please note it is very important that only you have access to the safe
    3. or let the friend/family member get storage permission, although then it must be a person with the relevant competencies for your FA's and I do not think DFO would give (although each one differs) as mine only gives storage permit after you have applied for license.
    4. Get the friend/family member to apply for license and they get the storage permit - When you know you are coming back and well in advance reapply for the licenses

User

There are also legit safe keeping companies that allow FA storage, so as long as the FA's are licences legitimately they can be stored.

They tend to be more expensive though than your potentially friendly gun shop.

User

Thanks for the pointers. Thing is, even if I get it stored, I still need to give my own address on the application when I renew the license. Not sure what they do if the address is foreign.
    Because the application goes to central registry, while the permission to store is just handled by the local DFO.

User

Quote Originally Posted by sparky View Post
    Thanks for the pointers. Thing is, even if I get it stored, I still need to give my own address on the application when I renew the license. Not sure what they do if the address is foreign.
    Because the application goes to central registry, while the permission to store is just handled by the local DFO.
    I'd try giving the gunshop/storage venue's address and explain the situation properly in the motivation.

Some other thoughts: While in storage with family or friend, what happens if the person dies ? The gun shop goes bankrupt ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by knipmes View Post
    Some other thoughts: While in storage with family or friend, what happens if the person dies ? The gun shop goes bankrupt ?
    Then you come home quickly nd solve the problem..............

User

Quote Originally Posted by SASwart View Post
    Hi Sparky. 4 options I would say.
    1. Book your rifles in at gunsmith - but this will be expensive
    2. Convince family/friends that you install your safe in their house. Inform SAPS of this address. Please note it is very important that only you have access to the safe
    3. or let the friend/family member get storage permission, although then it must be a person with the relevant competencies for your FA's and I do not think DFO would give (although each one differs) as mine only gives storage permit after you have applied for license.
    4. Get the friend/family member to apply for license and they get the storage permit - When you know you are coming back and well in advance reapply for the licenses
    One correction, point 3. You only need a VALID firearm license (regardless of type of FA) to obtain a storage permit.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    One correction, point 3. You only need a VALID firearm license (regardless of type of FA) to obtain a storage permit.
    Correction on this... The resolutions to the Act (Reg 67(2)) states any person may store a firearm on a storage permit wherein "storage may only be provided to a person who may lawfully posses the firearm and ammunition".

Therefore if you do not have the competency for a handgun, there is no way you may lawfully store a hunting rifle/shotgun. The act is not clear in saying you need a license, but if you have competency you are lawfully allowed. One could assume it could be a stricter interpretation of the Act, i.e. for a specific FA you must have such a license. But it is clear you cannot store all FA's if you do not have a competency/license for that specific type of FA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SASwart View Post
    Correction on this... The resolutions to the Act (Reg 67(2)) states any person may store a firearm on a storage permit wherein "storage may only be provided to a person who may lawfully posses the firearm and ammunition".

Therefore if you do not have the competency for a handgun, there is no way you may lawfully store a hunting rifle/shotgun. The act is not clear in saying you need a license, but if you have competency you are lawfully allowed. One could assume it could be a stricter interpretation of the Act, i.e. for a specific FA you must have such a license. But it is clear you cannot store all FA's if you do not have a competency/license for that specific type of FA.
    SAPS 539 only has a place to fill in current license held by the applicant of the storage permit and no mention of competency or type. I know of many instances where a SLR was stored by someone who does not have a competency for SLR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast