Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting With Heavy/Bull Barreled rifles.

Let me state upfront I hunt with a bull barrel on all my guns. I have to listen to a lot of comments on how heavy my rifle is ...... but looking at 99% of the gents making the comments they share the following rather well:-

1 - They are unfit
    2 - They are overweight
    3 - They call bakkie shooting hunting
    4 - Walk and stalk for them is the trip from the bakkie to where the buck was shot
    5 - Half of them check zero 2 or 3 weeks before hunting season and that is all the practice they manage to fit in.
    6 - Favorite drink is Klippies and Coke (Die upmarket manne gooi soms Captian Morgan en Coke want hulle is fancy)

I train like a demon the whole year and in the Kalahari I walk with my bull barrel and average in the dunes are around 30km a day. Start is 2 hours before sunrise and hunting is over an hour before sunset. I have never and will never hunt from a bakkie or drive the day and only get of for the last 100m stalk. So all those here extolling the virtues of lightweight rifles ....... maybe loose 10kg lard and the 2 or 3 kg extra on a bull barrel is nothing. Get fit ...... you will enjoy the hunt more.

Just my 2 cents

Aubrey

User

Quote Originally Posted by African View Post
    Let me state upfront I hunt with a bull barrel on all my guns. I have to listen to a lot of comments on how heavy my rifle is ...... but looking at 99% of the gents making the comments they share the following rather well:-

1 - They are unfit
    2 - They are overweight
    4 - Walk and stalk for them is the trip from the bakkie to where the buck was shot
    5 - Half of them check zero 2 or 3 weeks before hunting season and that is all the practice they manage to fit in.
    6 - Favorite drink is Klippies and Coke (Die upmarket manne gooi soms Captian Morgan en Coke want hulle is fancy)

I train like a demon the whole year and in the Kalahari I walk with my bull barrel and average in the dunes are around 30km a day. Start is 2 hours before sunrise and hunting is over an hour before sunset. I have never and will never hunt from a bakkie or drive the day and only get of for the last 100m stalk. So all those here extolling the virtues of lightweight rifles ....... maybe loose 10kg lard and the 2 or 3 kg extra on a bull barrel is nothing. Get fit ...... you will enjoy the hunt more.

Just my 2 cents

Aubrey
    Jirre, not really 2c, but man you must have a big one as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I find that carrying a rifle that weighs between 5 and 7kg all day is not much of an issue. Hunting is a sport after all, we should not be afraid of a little physical exercise and perspiration. That is in fairly open terrein, of course. Yes, a comfortable sling helps a lot, and one that distributes the weight between both shoulders would be ideal. This weight range will cover most DG rifles and many bull barrel rifles with synthetic and wood or laminated stocks.

A metal chassis system may make it weigh more, but these are not really intended for walk-and-stalk hunting purposes. I have no intention of ever walking very far with one of these, but carried comfortably on the back, I see no issues. Deployment time may be much longer than acceptable for most conditions, but I can imagine conditions where this may be just the right tool for the job.

For Bushveld and other similar terrain, where you have to move through the vegetation and need to bend over, crawl and climb over and through obstacles, a short, light rifle with low to no magnification sights will be ideal. Horses for courses.

One should draw up a table (spreadsheet) of all the game animals you could possible hunt. Add columns for shooting distances and fill in calibres and rifle types for each particular job. Then you can use this to structure your motivations for all the new rifles (and handguns, shotguns) you never before knew you needed.

Banned

1 - They are unfit
    2 - They are overweight

Just my 2 cents

Aubrey
    Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Jirre, not really 2c, but man you must have a big one as well!

En daar gaan die vetkryt eters ........... lawwe bydrae en doen presies wat ek se ek ervaar ....... Dankie Grobbie. Niks so lekker as om ander so n halwe dwars klap te gee nie ...sommer net omdat jy kan. Mooi man. Hunting is a passion but money is tight ...... when I can afford to go and hunt I want to squeez it like an orange and get every little drop of juice out. I try to be fit enough to enjoy the hunt without suffering. I training as I respect the animal I hope to shoot and I try to kill as quickly and humanely as possible. The training also extends my enjoyment and builds excitement for the hunt ...I am already "hunting" 5 months before the day I go hunt for real. MY key focus areas .....physical fitness and the other is time on the trigger ...no shortcuts. YMMV

User

1 - They are unfit
    2 - They are overweight

Just my 2 cents

Aubrey

I would ask you for some tips, but I know amount of leg up would help me reach that tall horse you’re sitting on.

Sho... an average of 30km’s a day in the dunes, eh...? I bet you could also take headshots on running Springbok at 400 yards... Without a rest of course! Die bakkie is mos vêr weg.

User

En daar gaan die vetkryt eters ........... lawwe bydrae en doen presies wat ek se ek ervaar ....... Dankie Grobbie. Niks so lekker as om ander so n halwe dwars klap te gee nie ...sommer net omdat jy kan. Mooi man. Hunting is a passion but money is tight ...... when I can afford to go and hunt I want to squeez it like an orange and get every little drop of juice out. I try to be fit enough to enjoy the hunt without suffering. I training as I respect the animal I hope to shoot and I try to kill as quickly and humanely as possible. The training also extends my enjoyment and builds excitement for the hunt ...I am already "hunting" 5 months before the day I go hunt for real. MY key focus areas .....physical fitness and the other is time on the trigger ...no shortcuts. YMMV
    Ja, law of the jungle. If you give you can take.

I am planning on doing at least one black powder kudu hunt next year. Go and sweep the river beds with something big and heavy.

But then later the year it will br voorsit and Captain Morgan.

Banned

What is "vetkryt" etters ?
    Sounds like fat propellant? (perhaps a rhino chasing a fat guy, propelling him to etter along the way?)

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post

I would ask you for some tips, but I know amount of leg up would help me reach that tall horse you’re sitting on.

Sho... an average of 30km’s a day in the dunes, eh...? I bet you could also take headshots on running Springbok at 400 yards... Without a rest of course! Die bakkie is mos vêr weg.
    Ag ou Wesley - Dankie man. 33 jaar oud ...laat ek raai ..... body by PS4 and Castle ... how funny the subtle digs and then the not so sublte ;-)

The distance walked was tracked over 5 days in the Kalahari with a small Etrex Cx (worst day was 42km as I got lost and we got back well after dark) and my hunting buddy was Kevin McClung from Mad Dog Knives so please feel free to ask him (avoid the lost in the desert part as he was not a happy hunter that day). I also drag at least 4 litre of water in a Camelbak and some energy bars or such. The rest, I have claimed nothing of what you hint at........ I don't even have a horse. But thank you for thinking I do (I think)

I believe every person has the freedom to make choices in life and accept the pro's and cons that come with that. Vertel my nou seblief wat ander die reg gee om my keuses te veroordeel ...dis mos so reg Afrikaans, is dit nie? As jy dik en onfiks is of bakkie jag is jou ding, dis jou keuse,...... gun my ook om my eie keuses te maak.

Met my walk en stalk in die duine tot op datum, was my verste skoot net oor die 270m as jy die laser range finder glo. Ek skiet nie kopskotte nie (waarskynlikheid vir swak skoot op klein teiken) en skiet ook die hardloop skote nie... as my stads lyf so sleg bekruip dat hulle weet ek is daar dan kyk ek maar net ....... ek is daar vir die ervaring ....... jag is nie net oor skiet nie. Terloops, ek skiet van stokke af of prone.

Heel moontlik is ek onder gemiddeld in my jag vermoe maar ek geniet elke oomblik in die veld.

Maar net om jou nog verder die stuipe te gee ....... ek jag ook nie met mense wat elke aand suip nie ......... vat hom boeta!!

Vetkryt eters (note only one "t" so means eating)...directly translated .....crayon eaters :-) and propellant in Afrikaans is kruit. Close man...very close.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast