Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Teach me about shotguns please

I am looking at buying my first shotgun. I am also financially challenged as many are. I had a look at some semi's and some over/unders and so on, from very cheap to 'wow look at that, is the comma in the right place?' type of guns. I don't know much about shotguns but have used them extensively, so I would like to get advice to get the right gun for me. I plan on using it for the occasional wingshoot mostly, and if some clays happen to be thrown, for that too. I have permission for pigeon and dove shooting and this would be the main use, however other bird species would also be on the menu since I will have the right equipment.

So what should I look at? I looked at some Brownings, Franchis and Berettas but they are a bit pricey. I also saw some turkish guns wich look good but I don't know them. Then there is a CZ Mallard for a very reasonable price.

What should I consider?

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: Teach me about shotguns please

I am speaking from my neighbours mouth now. My own expertise on shotguns are, lets just say, not great. The CZ Mallard for a good price should serve you well for the price of the gun.

Just be sure it is the 12 ga gun. Apparently there are 20 Ga guns also going around, but I understand that 12 ga ammo are cheaper.

I would suggest not concentrating too hard on the right gun. Find a workable one within your budget and get into the sport. Your passion, connections and personal preferences will develop once you get more immersed in the various shoots you go on. Once you develop those preferences you will be drawn to what you prefer, whether it's a SS or OU. But just find a good 12g gun that will get you started - there are plenty about. Then later upgrade to that dream gun.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    I am speaking from my neighbours mouth now. My own expertise on shotguns are, lets just say, not great. The CZ Mallard for a good price should serve you well for the price of the gun.

Just be sure it is the 12 ga gun. Apparently there are 20 Ga guns also going around, but I understand that 12 ga ammo are cheaper.
    Thanks, I am considering the Mallard, just need to make sure about the caliber.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I would suggest not concentrating too hard on the right gun. Find a workable one within your budget and get into the sport. Your passion, connections and personal preferences will develop once you get more immersed in the various shoots you go on. Once you develop those preferences you will be drawn to what you prefer, whether it's a SS or OU. But just find a good 12g gun that will get you started - there are plenty about. Then later upgrade to that dream gun.
    Thank you, good points to consider. What is the difference between trap guns and sporting guns? Is it something I should be concerned with at this stage?

User

A shotgun that fits you well will make mastering the art of wingshooting much easier. That involves a number of things from length of pull, height of comb, offset and drop at heel of the stock. You can manage with an ill-fitting stock but becoming accurate will be more difficult and there can also be some painful consequences like a bruised cheekbone after a pigeon or clay shooting session.

If you would like to get into clays, a single trigger O/U with multichokes is the way to go. If you cannot get a multichoke look for a field gun which normally have different chokes like 1/4 and 3/4 for the different barrels. For your applications avoid skeet and trap guns as they are for specialized applications

Do not discount a well looked after second hand shotgun from one of the reputable brands either. Good quality shotguns lasts for generations if well looked after.

User

Quote Originally Posted by MariusT View Post
    Thank you, good points to consider. What is the difference between trap guns and sporting guns? Is it something I should be concerned with at this stage?

Trap, skeet and sporting guns are geared for those specific clay disciplines. Trap guns have longer barrels and tight chokes, often full and full, skeet shorter barrels and little or no choke, sporting guns are much closer to your field (wingshooting) guns and is more versatile.

User

Marius..Don't concern yourself at this stage about the differences in trap,skeet,sporting or wingshooting guns. All you will do is confuse yourself.
    Buy a 12 bore over and under. Shoot it lots. Shoot clays and doves and geese , have a ball.

In a couple of years time , start thinking about single selective triggers , multi chokes , ejectors ect.

If you have 3 or 4K buy a Baikel. If you have 7 or 8K you should get a good Franchi or Miroku or Mallard or such. If you decide to upgrade ,you should get your money back and will have a far better idea of what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    A shotgun that fits you well will make mastering the art of wingshooting much easier. That involves a number of things from length of pull, height of comb, offset and drop at heel of the stock. You can manage with an ill-fitting stock but becoming accurate will be more difficult and there can also be some painful consequences like a bruised cheekbone after a pigeon or clay shooting session.

If you would like to get into clays, a single trigger O/U with multichokes is the way to go. If you cannot get a multichoke look for a field gun which normally have different chokes like 1/4 and 3/4 for the different barrels. For your applications avoid skeet and trap guns as they are for specialized applications

Do not discount a well looked after second hand shotgun from one of the reputable brands either. Good quality shotguns lasts for generations if well looked after.
    I wouldn't advise getting mixed up with technical issues. Get a budget friendly field gun with fixed chokes and learn what you like.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    Marius..Don't concern yourself at this stage about the differences in trap,skeet,sporting or wingshooting guns. All you will do is confuse yourself.
    Buy a 12 bore over and under. Shoot it lots. Shoot clays and doves and geese , have a ball.

In a couple of years time , start thinking about single selective triggers , multi chokes , ejectors ect.

If you have 3 or 4K buy a Baikel. If you have 7 or 8K you should get a good Franchi or Miroku or Mallard or such. If you decide to upgrade ,you should get your money back and will have a far better idea of what you want.
    As usual, Pre hits the nail on the head............

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast