Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default IPSC Division trends

So I'm thinking of buying myself a christmas present but was wondering which IPSC division is seeing the most growth in number of competitors, outside of Production.

I currently shoot Standard with a 40S&W and was told that Standard is slowly fading away like the Classic .45 single stack

Your opinion?

User

Default Re: IPSC Division trends

Production Optics.

Standard is sadly stagnating. I shoot it as well and am hoping it does not go the way of Classic 45 (which I also shot for a while)

Remember that as shooters get older the Optic divisions become more attractive. The cost of reloading makes 9mm more attractive, especially for newer shooters starting out or shooters feeling the pinch, which is becoming more of a factor of late.

Production Optics is a sort of Open Lite. Still not cheap though compared to Production because if you want to be prepared you need two optical sights to cater for breakage, but much cheaper than a full-blown Open gun.

User

Hmm, PCC just to confuse you furthermore. LoL

User

Production Optics... even the Shadow 2 can be bought optics ready now, at a cool 32k.. Expensive journey if you undertake it though...

User

Looking at the SAPSA logs it is clear that Production currently has the most competitors and Production Optic is showing a lot of growth. Even some young shooters are going the optics route. The competitor numbers at the Nationals held 12/13 December shows the same pattern.

User

I think the high prices of guns and reloading components in SA is the main reason for the lack of growth in Standard and Open division(even the slow growth in classic is mainly due to the price of competitive guns IMO).

Also it seems the fact that more and more dedicated production guns are being developed by makers such as the shadows and tanfoglios that makes production division more "attractive".

A few years back when I started ipsc I nearly bought a .40 Para(the price at that moment was R20k) to compete in standard division just because it was still relatively affordable and it was sort of the "glory" division. Now there are less than 10 dedicated Standard division shooters in our province left. Many moved over to classic and production.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

User

I agree that the cost of reloading equipment is the driving factor for the lack of competitor numbers growth in some divisions. Actually I think the main driver is the cost of cases. Yes, you use more powder in a .40 or 38 super, but the cost of cases (and availability) differs substantially. Obviously .40 bullets cost more than 9mm and 38 super bullets are similarly priced to 9mm AFAIK. A chap I know mentioned something like R7.00 for a 38 super case. Interestingly I picked up some .357 Sig cases at the Nats. One gent mentioned that he could not find any cases for his 10mm and resorted to shooting the match with factory ammo. Yikes!

User

I do see a lot of interest in Production Optics (PO) but I love the 1911/2011 trigger and recoil reduction. Which 1911/2011 platforms are allowed in PO?

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Production Optics... even the Shadow 2 can be bought optics ready now, at a cool 32k.. Expensive journey if you undertake it though...
    Agree, but still more affordable than a a STI, SVI, Bul, Tanfolio etc and the magazines much easier to come by

User

No single action pistols in Production

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast