User

Default Scavenging Eagles.

Early this morning, I shot a springbok. When I returned with a bakkie to load it, a couple of hours later, there were a pair of Vereaux's eagles (Black eagle) scavenging on the carcass. There was also a murder of crows nearby but they kept a respectful distance. In Afrikaans we call this a witkruisarend. Note the nictitating membrane covering the eye in the last photo (dankie Driepoot).

Banned

Default Re: Scavenging Eagles.

I suppose the springbok was shot for rations, or similar, because you returned to fetch the carcass.

Is it still utilised despite being scavenged?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    I suppose the springbok was shot for rations, or similar, because you returned to fetch the carcass.

Is it still utilised despite being scavenged?
    Yes, the eagles did not eat a lot of it and the end user in this case is not fussy.

User

Great pics.

User

The end user being your cheetah project?

Thanks for the lovely pics Tstone

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    The end user being your cheetah project?

Thanks for the lovely pics Tstone
    Or the tigers.

Will cheetahs eat "dead meat" or do they insist on running after their food?

Excellent pics as always!

User

Yes, it went to the tigers. Our cheetah are free ranging and hunt for themselves at this stage.

I was raised with the believe that cheetahs won't eat an animal they did not kill themselves but we have successfully fed cheetah in holding bomas with animals shot by us. I have also supplemented a young female's food with freshly hunted springbok for a week or so after she was released. A year ago we captured a wild born female, she went to a reserve in Malawi, and she had no problem eating springbok shot for her.

Talking about feeding. Watched a program once were they talked about how they done an experiment and fed cheetahs (I believe they were cheetahs if memory serves me correctly) a solely plant based diet and their digestive system changed to accommodate the change in food. They were healthy animals as I recall. Interesting little fact.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Talking about feeding. Watched a program once were they talked about how they done an experiment and fed cheetahs (I believe they were cheetahs if memory serves me correctly) a solely plant based diet and their digestive system changed to accommodate the change in food. They were healthy animals as I recall. Interesting little fact.
    I am highly skeptical about the validity of data in TV programs. However, if you have access to a peer reviewed scientific paper on this, I would really like to have a look at it.