Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: .22 ammunition reliability test.

Just for interest sake. I had a few hundred Swartklip standard velocity from 1989. I can't recall a single FTF. On the other hand, I've had Remingtons Cyclones that gave me one or two out of 500.

Here is another question. Are Rimfire ammunition less prone to FTF in a rifle(Firing pin is driven by a larger spring) compared to a Handgun(Hammer/Striker)?

User

Some handguns are more prone to fail in .22lr. My STAR HK Lancer is very unreliable and the round will fail to fire about 1/20 (Irrespective of which brand). It also does not cycle any subsonic / standard velocity reliably. High velocity's are much better. My Beretta model 70 on the other hand shoots basically anything. It cycles HV/ STD and subsonics with ease. I did get the occasional failure to fire, which I contribute to the unreliability of the .22lr design.

Then there was my AM180 rifle. That thing would fire of ANY .22lr round. The firing pin hits the rim so hard it actually bends the rim totally out of shape. Igniting a .22lr round in an AM180 is NEVER a problem. It did have other intrinsic reliability problems in that it cycles from an open bolt, meaning that if the recoil was insufficient to completely lock the slide back after firing, it would just load and fire the next round until it jams or the ammo was expended, making it "runaway full auto" Even some high velocity rounds would not have enough recoil to prevent this from happening.

Reliability on a .22lr depends very much on the firearm, and not always the ammo.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Some handguns are more prone to fail in .22lr. My ST................................................ .....

Reliability on a .22lr depends very much on the firearm, and not always the ammo.
    You forget stars aligning and weather and luck as well

When the gunk (Wax or whatever) from shooting 22lr fills the chamber area. When the next round seats. It stops just short from flush. Firing pin hits it. And then the round moves slightly forward as its hit. Instead of being flush against the barrel face I will call it. And it moves forward to it. Energy is lost and the round does not go off.

This happens more in pistols. As in a rifle when you close the bolt. The bolt with locking lugs will force the bullet in to the same spot everytime. Unless its so dirty that you cant close the bolt at all.

So happens less in rifles due to this one cause of failure to fire.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    Some handguns are more prone to fail in .22lr. My STAR HK Lancer is very unreliable and the round will fail to fire about 1/20 (Irrespective of which brand). It also does not cycle any subsonic / standard velocity reliably. High velocity's are much better.
    An issue compounding the problem is a weak hammer spring considering it is not a specific brand causing FTF.

I had the same problem with my Star model F target version, the weakened spring caused FTF with different ammo.
    Tended to the hammer spring and problem resolved with the exception of the occasional (say 1 in 200) FTF as happens with bulk pack ammo.

Standard velocity ammo also doesn't cycle the slide, HV is a must.

Banned

My pistols and revolvers all FTF on a somewhat regular manner present S&B ammo
    , this includes some good guns, Browning Gold Trigger / Medallion - Ruger Super Six

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    My pistols and revolvers all FTF on a somewhat regular manner present S&B ammo
    , this includes some good guns, Browning Gold Trigger / Medallion - Ruger Super Six
    22's are very picky about what ammo they like in general. For example, my Ruger pistols work well with S&B, the bolt action rifles group well with it, but the 10/22 just hates it.

Then, all the ammo that feeds well in both the 10/22 and pistols, is not particularly accurate in the bolt guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    An issue compounding the problem is a weak hammer spring considering it is not a specific brand causing FTF. I had the same problem with my Star model F target version, the weakened spring caused FTF with different ammo.Tended to the hammer spring and problem resolved with the exception of the occasional (say 1 in 200) FTF as happens with bulk pack ammo.Standard velocity ammo also doesn't cycle the slide, HV is a must.
    Thanks for sharing. I have a Star FR pistol that might be home early next year. I'll give these old boys a try in the little Star.

Banned

Where you get those - what are they, who makes them?

User

The rimfire hits the round on the rim, so when dry fire it causes the firingpin to hit the barrel edge (I think you understand). In a single shot rifle it is very much avoidable, but in a magazine or semi auto pistol it fairly often happen that you close the bolt on an empty chamber and fire. (This do happen with myself as well as the grandkids, under supervision). Therefore this prolong use, may cause damage to the firingpin, which will contribute to failure to fire.

My 2c

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast