Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: .22 ammunition reliability test.

[QUOTE=Basie2;1396599]The rimfire hits the round on the rim, so when dry fire it causes the firingpin to hit the barrel edge (I think you understand). In a single shot rifle it is very much avoidable, but in a magazine or semi auto pistol it fairly often happen that you close the bolt on an empty chamber and fire. (This do happen with myself as well as the grandkids, under supervision). Therefore this prolong use, may cause damage to the firingpin, which will contribute to failure to fire.

My 2c
    One of a few reasons I would say

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Where you get those - what are they, who makes them?
    Gifted by someone that immigrated. Swartklip imported them if I understand correctly. I will keep some together with Blitzers for my collection.

User

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    Gifted by someone that immigrated. Swartklip imported them if I understand correctly. I will keep some together with Blitzers for my collection.
    I was under the impression that they made them locally. The cases are marked with the newer "SP" headstamp. The bullets may have been imported.
    Anyway they are now quite rare and start gathering collector value.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    I was under the impression that they made them locally. The cases are marked with the newer "SP" headstamp. The bullets may have been imported.Anyway they are now quite rare and start gathering collector value.
    I was also under the impression that all Swartklip ammunition were produced locally. I'll upload photos tomorrow morning when I'm home.

User

That Remington Cyclone and Thunderbolt ammo was serious dirty! Lots of residue left over which as shooty pointed out has the tendency to prevent the bolt from sliding back into place and inducing malfunctions.

Have had much better success with the Winchester 555's. Still a couple of failures in a box - but I'm lazy to clean guns so I accept that this will happen from time to time.

Banned

Swartklip ammo was produced locally, but the components might have been imported i.e. propellant and bullets. Hopefully there is someone with knowledge of what really happened at Swartklip.

The brass used in Swartklip cases has always been harder than the imported ammo. I have to regularly stretch the spring in my Krico rifle to ensure ignition of this ammo.

I found the interesting info below whilst searching in Google.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/22...outhAfrica.pdf

Stretching springs weakens them. We used to buy Swartklip in 5000 round boxes. Reliability in my experience mirrored any imported brand.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Swartklip ammo was produced locally, but the components might have been imported i.e. propellant and bullets. Hopefully there is someone with knowledge of what really happened at Swartklip.

The brass used in Swartklip cases has always been harder than the imported ammo. I have to regularly stretch the spring in my Krico rifle to ensure ignition of this ammo.

I found the interesting info below whilst searching in Google.

https://www.wardscollectibles.com/22...outhAfrica.pdf
    Thanks for sharing driepootx

Good background info for some of the boxes I have or have had.

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    I was also under the impression that all Swartklip ammunition were produced locally. I'll upload photos tomorrow morning when I'm home.
    Some of my other, older collections.

User

What would be the easiest way to remove the wax coating? SK ammo is really accurate in my dual action Walther, but gums up everything in no time. Cleaning the action means removing the scope, and that's a real schlep. How to clean the bullets??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast