Default Nightforce SVH vs Zeiss Conquest v4

I just bought a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor and now need to match a telescope to it. My intended use is split between some long range fun and some hunting.

I have decided will will build a dual purpose rig with a polymer stock, probably a KRG Bravo and a telescope that would work for both hunting and long range targets.

I have looked at the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 because everyone I talk to recommend it highly, but also some others like Vortex Viper PST gen2 5-25x50, Vortex Strike Eagle, Zeiss Conquest v4 6-24x50, Zeiss V6 3-18x50, and a Leopold in the same price range that I can't remember the code of.

Out of the bunch I liked the NF SHV and the Zeiss V4 the most, the Viper PST was also great but it feels like it has a very tight eye box compared to the other two.

I have tested the scopes back to back on three different days with wildly different lighting conditions, and every time the Zeiss V6 has the best clarity followed closely by the V4.

The Nightforce SHV or Viper PST could not see the detail the V4 could, especially on a clear hot day at about 800m.
    The salesman, and a friend I dragged along both agreed. Counting the bolts on a distant powerline structure proved to be the most challenging test, and I thought it would most closely resemble trying to spot hits on steel at distance.

Now the part that baffles me is that everyone that I ask that does precision rifle shooting knows nothing of the Zeiss V4, and I can't figure out why.

The Zeiss has 80moa elevation adjustment (tested 95moa in the shop), very nice reticle choices, a great zero stop, locking windage turret, parallax down to 10m, everything seems equal or superior to the alternatives.

Am missing something? I really like the V4 but I don't want to buy it just to find it has a major flaw that I missed.

If anyone has experience with it, or both, please share your experience, it would be greatly appreciated

User

Default Re: Nightforce SVH vs Zeiss Conquest v4

I just bought a Zeiss for my 308, it is the baby one Conquest v4 3-12x44 but none the less I love and cant wait to get out on a hunt.

My feeling is due to the fact that the V4 is fairly new only launched in 2018 the info on it is still low.

I have had a Zeiss Conquest 3.5 - 10 MC with a Z800 reticle for ages, hence an older model. That being said the glass is up there with anything else I have looked at over the years. Even better than older Nightforce scopes. Newer ones may have improved. I would buy another without hesitation if ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by boondog View Post
    I just bought a Zeiss for my 308, it is the baby one Conquest v4 3-12x44 but none the less I love and cant wait to get out on a hunt.

My feeling is due to the fact that the V4 is fairly new only launched in 2018 the info on it is still low.
    You might be right, after some research it seems that the Conquest v4 was updated this year, improving the windage turret, increasing parallax from 50m down to 10m and additional crosshairs were added, all things that I would have wanted.

I have seen tracking tests that people have done with the Conquest v4 and in every test it tracks perfectly.

It is also shorter and lighter than the competition. This might be a drawback for people that want more weight for a long range only rifle. It does seem to be built very well, but it might not be as indestructible as the SHV or PST.

It also seems that Zeiss has a 15year warranty and good after sales service according to the salesman. He gave me the sales rep's number, so I will contact him in the new year to get more direct answers.

As for drawbacks that I could find thus far, the turrets don't "click" as positively as the SHV, so it is easier to overshoot your turns, but it is good enough to still use with a glove, but you will need to be a bit more gentle with it.

It seems that no-one has any experience with the Zeiss for precision shooting, but I decided to buy it anyway, mostly because it is much cheaper than the Nightforce SHV and even the Vortex PST.

Once I have used it for a while I will report back to see if it is worth it.

After removing the zero stop, I have tested the elevation and mine has 110 moa adjustment,
    This means even with a 20moa rail it will be easy to Zero at 100m and still have plenty of adjustment left. I can not test this on my 6.5CM until I get my license, but will test it on some others until then.

I am optimistic that this will serve my purposes well.

Banned

Zeiss comes out tops.