Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Changing firearm license section on reapplication

Hi fellow gunsiters
    My father is interested in changing his pistol license from section 13 to section 15 (occasional sport shooting). He is going to have to renew his license next year regardless. My question is does the CFR allow this and I'd so how does one go about it when reapplying?

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Changing firearm license section on reapplication

There is a SAPS 521(c) Change of circumstances which he will need to use to apply for the change. I am not sure if it is wise to rather renew and then apply for change. Maybe someone can assist with more knowledge regarding the change on a renewal date.

User

Renewals are done on provincial level, and not central. If the SAPS 521(c) still gets done provincially, I would rather go that route.

User

Default Changing firearm license section on reapplication

Quote Originally Posted by STREETRACER View Post
    There is a SAPS 521(c) Change of circumstances which he will need to use to apply for the change. I am not sure if it is wise to rather renew and then apply for change. Maybe someone can assist with more knowledge regarding the change on a renewal date.
    I have been reliably informed by my DFO (Brooklyn, Pretoria) that the only time one can change the section of a licence is on a renewal. That said, the renewal (and section change) then needs to be properly and fully motivated and explained.

Towards the end of 2019 I followed this advice and was able to successfully change my S.13 handgun licence instead to a S.16 licence (when doing so, I fully explained and motivated why the particular pistol would be suitable for my sport (IDPA) and explained why I couldn’t make use of any of my other pistols to compete in a particular division (the BUG division)).

Despite some delays, this renewal application (and section change) was granted in August of 2020.

Good luck to the OP with the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Good Day

On my renewal last week I tried to change the "Section" DFO told me it can't be done. :(

User

I am also planning to change my Sec13 to Sec16 as i want a compact EDC. I was told by my DFO that i should apply for change when i do my renewal next year.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HK416 View Post
    Good Day

On my renewal last week I tried to change the "Section" DFO told me it can't be done. :(
    This is, simply put, not correct. See my detailed reply in Post #4 above...

User

As usual no consistency between DFO's. Mine also swears it cannot be done on renewal. I have to renew first and then change section.

User

so in my case the bloody CFR did it for me.

Just got my renewal card, was originally section 15, on renewal I applied for Section 16. But no, collected my card and it is flippen Section 13

This makes one wonder if they even look at the bloody motivation.

User

I was thinking of changing my sec13 to sec16 as i want a compact EDC. I was told by my DFO to apply for the change when i do my renewal later this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast