Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Covid, Depression, Guns and Fun

Is it only me? With all the Covid crap going on I am not even exited about my shooting sports anymore. There are licenses that I am waiting for for instance. Already on 7 months till handing in. I don't even care about that. Following up and dreaming of the optics and load developments etc for the new firearms is playing second fiddle. The sports club calender is always copied onto my year planner by now. This year I have received it, but didn't even care to look when is the first shoot for the year.

Don't want to make anyone else negative. I am just wondering if only myself are into a "shooting depression"?

User

Default Re: Covid, Depression, Guns and Fun

I try to keep the habitual process going though.
    E.g. calender
    I reluctantly did it, but i went ahead.

And I look out to doing different things within the same sport.

If i shot pistol, i now go shoot rifle

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Nope, not on my side. I went for retail therapy and bought a pcc a week ago and now I have to wait for the dfo and al the other paper work to apply. I think I must start to load a couple of k 9mm ammo so that I don't run short when I get the license. Even when I wasn't in the mood to go to the range, as soon as I smelled freshly burnt S121 my mood changed. For a change I spent all my time with my edc and the Shadow was left in its case. It was fun, you should go and try it. LoL sterkte.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Is it only me? With all the Covid crap going on I am not even exited about my shooting sports anymore. There are licenses that I am waiting for for instance. Already on 7 months till handing in. I don't even care about that. Following up and dreaming of the optics and load developments etc for the new firearms is playing second fiddle. The sports club calender is always copied onto my year planner by now. This year I have received it, but didn't even care to look when is the first shoot for the year.

Don't want to make anyone else negative. I am just wondering if only myself are into a "shooting depression"?
    Covid fatigue (and depression) has set in for many.
    Some were affected early days with the first lockdown levels, others slowly had it set in with time over the months.

Myself, I had a challenge or 2 over the last year and a bit to deal with before any lockdown and covered issues started so was also tested at times the last while.
    Covid fatigue is a reality for some but is merely a mindset to work through.
    My mindset has been clouded at times with lifes challenges and patience has been tested but invariably I have needed to soldier forward for not only myself but also those around me.

Without meaning to preach, the thing to keep you motivated is yourself.
    You need to try edge yourself away from the frame of mind you have at present and find the spark to re-ignite your flame...

There will be days that that you feel down, that would have happened to most before the covered started affecting all in some way or another.
    As before, we worked through those days.

Look at what the worldwide generations before us endured at times, they came through.
    Some scarred for life and others stronger in some or other way with supressed scarring...

The consistent cloud of the covered episode over the last months has slowly been wearing us all down, some were affected (by the depression factor) quickly while others took longer or have yet to get to the point.

The only way to keep motivated is to keep doing what inspired you before plus find something else new to help re-ignite the flame.
    Self stimulation is key...
    (NO, not the type when you take matters in hand for a happy ending)

Besides the passion with FA's and shooting, an old hobby or even a new one that was contemplated before will help to get back on track.
    Try to focus and use your disposable time you have for something positive towards your hobbies or passion for shooting, things will fall into place again.

The best head doctor for yourself is YOU...
    You are self aware that you're a bit depro, the first step forward has been taken by yourself.
    The next step then the next can only go forward for the positive.

Keep your chin up bud, life has many trying times.
    We just need to work through them.

User

I've been to the range maybe 3 times since March. Not depressed or anything, just haven't been feeling like shooting even though I have lots of ammo. There's been so much going on that it's hard to focus on hobbies.

I did make sure to buy three boxes of Winchester Rangers before the ammo dries up for a while (usually there's a shortage of US imported ammo in the year after an election - especially now that a Dem won it!).

Really thankful for the NHSA, only have to shoot 3 times a year to maintain my Dedicated status. Gonna try ramp up my shooting for 2021 and try head to the range once a month to get back into practice unless everything starts being closed again.

Banned

From dealing with broken hearts and slump-shouldered spirits for a living I can assure you that this is fairly common for this time of the year. Yes, covid can partially be blamed, but not completely. Folks often take a mental dip, anywhere from October to January.

Just take your guns and go blasting for an hour or two; it should do wonders for your mindset.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Nyt Ryda, you have the same feeling. "Just haven't been feeling like shooting."

Ds, I have spent 2 hours yesterday late afternoon with the trusty old Brno .22 with subsonics and silencer on problem animal control on the farm. Mynahs, 3 pheasants digging out corn kernels after planting etc. Had 6 shots over the period. That was not blasting away, but hiding under a tree next to the land and waiting for them to come out, the judging of distance and if the shot is possible with said rifle and ammo, waiting for the perfect shot placement and the eventual smell of a rimfire after discharging did me some good.

But I am still not out of it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    Nyt Ryda, you have the same feeling. "Just haven't been feeling like shooting."Ds, I have spent 2 hours yesterday late afternoon with the trusty old Brno .22 with subsonics and silencer on problem animal control on the farm. Mynahs, 3 pheasants digging out corn kernels after planting etc. Had 6 shots over the period. That was not blasting away, but hiding under a tree next to the land and waiting for them to come out, the judging of distance and if the shot is possible with said rifle and ammo, waiting for the perfect shot placement and the eventual smell of a rimfire after discharging did me some good.But I am still not out of it.
    Adoons, yes, you might still not be out of it. Please try the following: take a pistol, if possible, and simply "go play". Put up a few targets and send a mag or three or ten down the range. Not much thinking about groups, accuracy, bullet speed etc. Just get out there again and spend some quality "me-time" with yourself. During our last holiday I had the chance to spend two or three hours on a shooting range, just shooting to my heart'scontent, and then went home. It simply made my week. Please give it a try?

The season for birds is closed but I still go out as often as I can with my retrievers. Rock pigeons
    are the only birds on the menu until the season opens again so we still manage to shoot with
    every outing.

I appreciate every moment in the lands and around the water, the braai afterwards and the
    company of my hunting buddies. The farmers are ploughing, planting and harvesting and in good spirits.
    They welcome us onto their lands and in their homes which is always a humbling experience especially when
    one considers what they have to go through on a daily basis.

At home I make sure my wife and family stay positive and we all take pleasure in the small things in life. My
    parents in law are in their 80`s and in very good health but we still live with the constant anxiety that goes with
    COVID and the elderly. I have to admire their strength of spirit and their grudging acceptance of our concern for
    them.

I wish you all strength of spirit during these trying times.

My late father introduced me to this poem when I was still a teenager. After all these years
    I still find great comfort in the message:

https://catotheyoungerdotblog.wordpr...or-dark-times/

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    The season for birds is closed but I still go out as often as I can with my retrievers. Rock pigeons
    are the only birds on the menu until the season opens again so we still manage to shoot with
    every outing.

I appreciate every moment in the lands and around the water, the braai afterwards and the
    company of my hunting buddies. The farmers are ploughing, planting and harvesting and in good spirits.
    They welcome us onto their lands and in their homes which is always a humbling experience especially when
    one considers what they have to go through on a daily basis.

At home I make sure my wife and family stay positive and we all take pleasure in the small things in life. My
    parents in law are in their 80`s and in very good health but we still live with the constant anxiety that goes with
    COVID and the elderly. I have to admire their strength of spirit and their grudging acceptance of our concern for
    them.

I wish you all strength of spirit during these trying times.

My late father introduced me to this poem when I was still a teenager. After all these years
    I still find great comfort in the message:

https://catotheyoungerdotblog.wordpr...or-dark-times/
    Really great messages on this thread, like Fire-Stick's for example.

Also found this poem really uplifting. In the write-up below it there is mention of "If" and "Invictus" - i know those and have shared them with my pre-teen son in the past as they too are quite inspiring.

I wish all members strength and fortitude in these times and hope that this year is better and brings about good for everyone.

A bit soppy but i would encourage all of us to speak and share things, which is often contrary to our natural inclination. It can be to family, friends, religious or other figures, GS members also or even the forum.

Lets look out for ourselves and each other, those close to us or even those who are not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast