Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Hunting, culling, killing and whats the differance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris86 View Post
    I have been following this thread and have an interesting question:

On Africa's Sportsman Channel on youtube there is a Kalahari hunt on a 58 000ha farm, ignoring all other factors would you say they are hunting from a bakkie or not?
    MMM

I can see why people would think it is hunting, because they get off the vehicle at the last moment and then stalk and shoot the animal, meaning the only difference is they don’t shoot from the vehicle.
    But why then not just shoot from the vehicle, I cannot see any difference, driving around until you find the animal and then getting off and shooting it is exactly the same thing.

The thing that gives them away is when the guy says the weapon is too heavy to carry, ha ha ha, but then looking at him, he is made for comfort, not endurance.

Jokes aside, I can see why an outfitter would do this, it makes financial sense in that environment, I sure as hell would not want to walk with an unfit client trying to take animals over a couple of days, so according to me they are doing what they need to do, and I am fine with that.

Myself, in that terrain, I would LOVE to carry a backpack with a few supplies and just go walking, camp somewhere in the veld at night under the stars etc, you will walk into animals eventually, and that terrain is SUPER easy to stalk in, open country with man sized bushes, hell it’s the easiest place on earth to approach an animal.

I would call that video………comfort hunting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chris86 View Post
    I have been following this thread and have an interesting question:

On Africa's Sportsman Channel on youtube there is a Kalahari hunt on a 58 000ha farm, ignoring all other factors would you say they are hunting from a bakkie or not?

How do you hunt 58 000ha on foot? I assume in a similar fashion to outback hunts in the USA?

Link to video
    You get to a point , park and start hunting a area, hunt in finely.

User

On farms that large, you do something called "spotting". You don't just blindly foeter into a direction and hope you get something. You climb the nearest, highest hill or mountain, grab a pair of binos or a spotting scope and you glass the area. Once you see something, that's when you decide what to do.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    On farms that large, you do something called "spotting". You don't just blindly foeter into a direction and hope you get something. You climb the nearest, highest hill or mountain, grab a pair of binos or a spotting scope and you glass the area. Once you see something, that's when you decide what to do.
    Now you are right up my thrill avenue.
    To have a look out is heaven to me, even better than walk and stalk most days. I absolutely love sitting high under a tree and watching, watching, just watching. I often fall asleep and wake up a better person when doing this.
    I am absolutely mad about a day time nap in the velt under or against something.
    Glass a place for a hour or 3, consciously decide "naptime" - last look about and bag under head, wake up when I wake up.
    This for me has often become the most precious part of my hunt.
    I have issues with noise, it affects me badly and cause's me to stress tremendously. The city is just too loud, even the house with the fridge and TV, light bulbs are loud to me, I love power outages, they so peaceful.
    I posted a post once regarding how loud I found the day when electricity is flowing.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4