Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Hunting, culling, killing and whats the differance.

I have agreed to take a 16/17 year old Grey School boy on a hunt, also in the Graemstown area.
    01/08/2021 is the day.
    Much talk and planning almost 2 months later, I get this picture and the words, " this is the one I want uncle Dave, do you think we can get him?"

wbuck by David Frank Allen, on Flickr

I am now like kinda , "do you bring him in at night or does he sleep outside"
    I mean like forkit! If you have photographed it, its like a pet!

Friday the 08th it dies, but was it a hunt ?

Banned

Default Re: Hunting, culling, killing and whats the differance.

A young trophy hunter in spe?

Banned

"Was it a hunt" made me think of a story told to me about a BWB bull hunt.

The "hunter" expressed the wish to hunt a BWB bull and was assured by a friend that he will arrange a hunt and a high success rate was mentioned. The Saturday dawned and the trip made to the farm. On arrival the rifles were checked and then all were bundled onto the vehicle, including one of the farm hands. Shortly after exiting the farm residence's gate a blue wildebeest was spotted and the chase was on. They diesel stalked to a reasonable distance and a shot was fired, but the bull took off. The same scene was again duplicated and a second shot fired. Again the bull took off again.

The 3rd shot also had the same effect. When they again found the now very sick animal, the farm hand said the following. "My Lani, skiet asseblief tog nou vir Stoffel dood"

You seem to have the same reservations about the waterbuck pictured?

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    "Was it a hunt" made me think of a story told to me about a BWB bull hunt.

The "hunter" expressed the wish to hunt a BWB bull and was assured by a friend that he will arrange a hunt and a high success rate was mentioned. The Saturday dawned and the trip made to the farm. On arrival the rifles were checked and then all were bundled onto the vehicle, including one of the farm hands. Shortly after exiting the farm residence's gate a blue wildebeest was spotted and the chase was on. They diesel stalked to a reasonable distance and a shot was fired, but the bull took off. The same scene was again duplicated and a second shot fired. Again the bull took off again.

The 3rd shot also had the same effect. When they again found the now very sick animal, the farm hand said the following. "My Lani, skiet asseblief tog nou vir Stoffel dood"

You seem to have the same reservations about the waterbuck pictured?
    Off sides!!!
    I deny shooting Stoffel!!!
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Treeman,we all know the difference between hunting [fair chase,ethics,purity of tradition ect] , culling and killing...but... the 3 do overlap in a grey area.
    Take the following example. A farmer receives a permit from nature conservation to take off 10 kudu that are hammering his lucerne at night. [culling implied] He gets hold of you to go out and do the deed. You take 4 days off work as you have decided not to shoot them in the lands at night off the back of a bakkie.You know the route,more or less,that they take from the mountain to the lands at night and decide to set up an early morning ambush to get them on their way back to the mountain. [hunting implied]
    Your plan works perfectly and along they come...you shoot a bull and a cow. A second herd pops out and you shoot 2 cows.
    In the panic another 2 cows jam themselves up against a fence and you shoot them both. 6 kudu down in 4 minutes [killing implied]
    So...what did you do? Hunt , cull or kill?
    Take your time with this youngster. In a nice way around the fire,explain to him the differences between the 3 and let him decide. Often,a youngster is more result driven than you would be and also remember that killing is the natural conclusion to the hunt. I am sure you will be just fine and you may just end up with a hell of a difficult hunt finding a particular animal.

User

As an aside , if you do need to ever go shoot 10 kudu , you may borrow my 3006 as we all know your 270 is not up to the task.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Off sides!!!
    I deny shooting Stoffel!!!
    Check the spelling

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    As an aside , if you do need to ever go shoot 10 kudu , you may borrow my 3006 as we all know your 270 is not up to the task.
    You go away for long time and come back all rude (270 is not up to the task), using bad language (3006) and suggest low esteem, immoral actions. (borrow my 3006)

I know not where you go during your absence from Gun Site, but I suggest you remember your upbringing and stop this low life mannerisms.

User

Love you too

Quote Originally Posted by pre 64 View Post
    I have seen actual fist fights started by similar statements made around campfires. Usually fueled by the liberal consumption of alcohol, but still.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast