Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Hunting, culling, killing and whats the differance.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Just saying. Different strokes for different folks. I have also hunted and shot from a bakkie. It happens. I don't call it "difficult hunting" though.
    I too have shot a lot of game over the side mirror of a land cruiser, both by day and night, and I have shot excess animals in very small camps, all of this as part of my job. But the only thing that has in common with hunting is that you are using a firearm to kill an animal. For me, hunting implies spotting, stalking, outwitting and then shooting an animal. Or doing the first two and not shooting the animal anyway. If the only hunting skill you have is shooting, are you truly a hunter?

The only skill involved in shooting an animal from the back of a bakkie is shooting. If that is how a person wants to obtain his meat, it is his business and I am not going to try and tell him that he should not do it that way. But I do believe that such a person is missing out on the major part of the hunting experience.

For a handicapped, or old and infirm, person to shoot from the back of a vehicle is a way for him to get to shoot an animal which he/she otherwise would have been unable to shoot. Whether this is hunting or not I do not want to argue about. In fact arguing about the difference between hunting and shooting is probably pointless, people will do what they want to do.

Maybe my view on the difference between hunting/culling/killing is old fashioned but that is how I feel about it. And with that, I will leave this thread.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I too have shot a lot of game over the side mirror of a land cruiser, both by day and night, and I have shot excess animals in very small camps, all of this as part of my job. But the only thing that has in common with hunting is that you are using a firearm to kill an animal. For me, hunting implies spotting, stalking, outwitting and then shooting an animal. Or doing the first two and not shooting the animal anyway. If the only hunting skill you have is shooting, are you truly a hunter?

The only skill involved in shooting an animal from the back of a bakkie is shooting. If that is how a person wants to obtain his meat, it is his business and I am not going to try and tell him that he should not do it that way. But I do believe that such a person is missing out on the major part of the hunting experience.

For a handicapped, or old and infirm, person to shoot from the back of a vehicle is a way for him to get to shoot an animal which he/she otherwise would have been unable to shoot. Whether this is hunting or not I do not want to argue about. In fact arguing about the difference between hunting and shooting is probably pointless, people will do what they want to do.

Maybe my view on the difference between hunting/culling/killing is old fashioned but that is how I feel about it. And with that, I will leave this thread.
    I certainly agree with this view, except the part where you leave the thread.

This is why some (me too) took up bowhunting, to increase the experience of stalking, outwitting etc.
    And to sometimes not even shoot, maybe take a picture or even only a memory.

Having said that, many of us at times are shooters too, for various reasons most of which you also stated.

I do not see any of these comments as 'judging' any of these, but as discussion.
    In the end, everyone needs to be comfortable with his/her own methods.

As long as all these methods result in clean and ethical hunting/shooting.

User

It’s not hard folks, use your golf or darts example.

Shooting is like playing a round of golf alone, or throwing darts alone, you are testing your own skill against yourself, against nothing else.

Hunting is like playing golf or darts against opponents, the stakes are higher, you are measuring your skill against an opponent’s, they bring their unique talents into play, like the eyes of a springbok or the ears of a kudu.

User

Default Hunting, culling, killing and whats the differance.

Best thread in a long time.

Glad you are back pre64. Someone needs to slap some sense into Treeman.

@ Toxyc. Someone did mention it. People will do what they want. I am ok with it. But if they want to argue around a campfire about what it should actually be called, I am happy to oblige. Arguing with a friends is a national sport. The key being what your own opinion and standards are, will eventually draw similar people to your campfire.

Between Messor, Tstone, pre64 and Treeman and a couple more we should hold a Gunsite story evening like the Recces do. Could be fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Killing
    Shooting
    Hunting
    Culling

Shooting (bakkie or voorsit) = Shooting + Killing
    Culling = Shooting + Killing
    Hunting = Hunting + Shooting + Killing
    Nice and simple.

User

It’s not hard folks, use your golf or darts example.

Shooting is like playing a round of golf alone, or throwing darts alone, you are testing your own skill against yourself, against nothing else.

Hunting is like playing golf or darts against opponents, the stakes are higher, you are measuring your skill against an opponent’s, they bring their unique talents into play, like the eyes of a springbok or the ears of a kudu.
    And another nice and simple explanation.

Banned

Report back on the shooting of said photo Waterbuck.
    ----------------------
    Said Waterbuck is still alive after 05h10 to 17h37 hunt. I would likely have started smoking again today if I had smokes with me.

Got to farm met with young hunter and friend and mentioned my concerns about shooting a buck thats camera friendly. I was told that Tommy, yes!, Tommy the buck is even named was going to be so easy to shoot that he had another plan. The youngster then told me that he first wanted to try for Tommy's brother "Krom" because he did not want to have his hunt over by 06H15 in morning after shooting Tommy. It was established that we would try for Krom, (one horn is bent odd) in the morning and then try the bachelor herds and lastly if we got nothing we would go shoot Tommy where he always stands.

Ok - Ya, all got that? Simple hey? We try for some animals , if they elude us, we go for the others and lastly if we still get nothing, we just pop over and shoot Tommy - easy to find him because he is always in same place and "uncle Dave, we just look for his girlfriends, they always stand in the open, then we will find him'

3000 H + brothers land about 7400 H of land with much high ground hills to survey almost every inch of land, easy stuff.

I am not going to write a long story, but Waterbuck are easy to hunt - very easy, like Blesbuck and donkeys.

How do they know they being hunted ?

So - Hunting, culling, killing and whats the differance. ........................

The differance is not being so cocky Mr Allen, first do it then ask the moral high ground questions.

I would have shot 5 Bulls today, free hand, no questions, but its different setting a kid up and actually getting a calculated shot off.
    If I every hunt a Waterbuck bull with a handgun, this is the farm, two of them with ease using a .44 Black hawk open sights.

Banned

KillingShootingHuntingCulling Shooting (bakkie or voorsit) = Shooting + KillingCulling = Shooting + KillingHunting = Hunting + Shooting + Killing
    Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    Said Waterbuck is still alive after 05h10 to 17h37 hunt. I would likely have started smoking again today if I had smokes with .
    It seems the young man learned that hunting sometimes also means going home empty-handed.

User

Makes me think about a conversation I had with a bushman that worked on a farm in the Kalahari.
    One morning as down broke we started getting the guns and gear ready for the hunt, he went for the bakkie, when we told him no, we don’t shoot from a bakkie, he had this puzzling look on his face.
    He asked why, and I said something along the line of “enige fool kan van ‘n bakkie af skiet”.
    The confusion in his face was clear, he could not understand why we would make it harder for ourselves.

And this is a puzzling concept, water does not flow uphill, it follows the path of least resistance.
    That is also why humans started farming, both crop and livestock, to create a sustained and predictable food source.
    So the concept of making a hunt hard, challenging, is rather counter evolution.
    But that is it, we don’t compete in sport because we want it easy, we like to do things the hard way, because it’s MUCH more rewarding.
    Each one of us can sit on the couch the whole day eating potato chips, it’s nice, but it’s not rewarding.
    Any person can sit on the back of a bakkie pretending he hunts, he doesn’t, he shoots, I know this I shoot a lot of animals from a bakkie, there is no feeling involved, it doesn’t even raise my heartbeat.

Modern humans have this notion of demanding that every choice be accepted as a good and valid choice, simply because the other choice is too hard. In modern society people are even demanding that fat people be seen as healthy, which is the biggest crock of shit you will ever hear, being fat is not healthy, they demand this because being fat is easy, not stuffing your mouth with food the whole and day regular exercise is much harder. Humans shout for equality in everything, this despite the fact that humans are NOT equal, not at all, they have equal worth but they sure as hell are not equal. The second you demand to be recognized for not doing something you diminish the human race.

One day my knees will give in, sure as the sun rises each morning, they have too many miles, that day I will still go on hunting trips and camp if needs be, or just drive around and enjoy the scenery, or even shoot a few animals from the bakkie.
    But my heart will know the difference, and I will look back fondly on my hunting days, the sweat, pain and hardship that went into some successful hunts.
    Because I have them, I did it, nobody can take that away from me, I don’t have to pretend I hunted.

We should teach the young folk the same thing, memories don't make themselves, sometimes its hard and sometimes its easy, but you won't make them if you don't go out there and try.

User

I have been following this thread and have an interesting question:

On Africa's Sportsman Channel on youtube there is a Kalahari hunt on a 58 000ha farm, ignoring all other factors would you say they are hunting from a bakkie or not?

How do you hunt 58 000ha on foot? I assume in a similar fashion to outback hunts in the USA?

Link to video

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast