Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: France 2020/2021 hunting season

Loving the thread! Very cool! As a matter of interest do you practise running shots and if so how? My offhand shooting is very average and its something I need to work on. As for running shots...

User

Very cool thread! Truly learning loads!

Appreciate the effort and time taken to share it with all of us!

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Loving the thread! Very cool! As a matter of interest do you practise running shots and if so how? My offhand shooting is very average and its something I need to work on. As for running shots...
    DaveG

Only practice off hand shot with an air rifle. Put a target down around 15 to 20m away and bring rifle to shoulder and get cross on and shoot. There are shooting ranges you can go to, to shoot at running boar targets but the closest is more than 100km from my house so I haven't been yet.

As for leading the target - I don't really. I aim for the spot on the animal where I want to shoot and follow the animal as it runs and pull the trigger.

User

@Methos -- thanks for the updates and pics. Like Treeman, i am also very interested in the hunting and tactics/methods (having spent about 6 years of my time in the UK being a member of a pheasant syndicate and learning about their methods on how to rear, feed, raise and, later, hunt pheasant).

If I understand your reply in Post #33 correctly, so you do not follow-through when shooting at a running boar... Yes?

User

Hi Tayls

I do follow through. I just don't lead it as much. I let the cross glue onto the spot where I want to shoot, follow the animal and pull the trigger when it feels right. I don't lead it by 50 cm ;) Don't stop the swing when shooting.

There is a video of Franz Albrecht online where he says worry more about the line than the lead. If you aim head/neck with boar hunting and your shot is off by 15cm but still on the correct line you will shoot the boar through the heart lung area.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Hi Tayls

I do follow through. I just don't lead it as much. I let the cross glue onto the spot where I want to shoot, follow the animal and pull the trigger when it feels right. I don't lead it by 50 cm ;) Don't stop the swing when shooting.

There is a video of Franz Albrecht online where he says worry more about the line than the lead. If you aim head/neck with boar hunting and your shot is off by 15cm but still on the correct line you will shoot the boar through the heart lung area.
    Thanks for the clarification, bud. This makes much more sense (and sounds like a sustained follow-through on the spot where you want the bullet to hit).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, bud. This makes much more sense (and sounds like a sustained follow-through on the spot where you want the bullet to hit).

Almost like here at 1:08. Guy hunting with shotkam in Poland

Thanks Methos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4