Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Any Hare Experts on Gunsite?

I believe this to be a scrub hare (kolhaas) but am not entirely sure. Anyone on here who can tell if it is a scrub hare or a cape hare (vlakhaas)?

Default Re: Any Hare Experts on Gunsite?

Yes T. It is a Scrub Hare.

Thanks Springer.

Whatever the case, those are some massive ears!

User

That looks exactly like a Texas Jackrabbit except ours have black tail instead of white.

Amazing, I didn't know those were found anywhere else. They are found here from Texas and across the SW US desert areas.

When ours get scared they will run then hop on their back legs like a kangaroo for 30 meters or so. They are real fast.

Banned

Banned

Please confirm rectify.
    Scrub Hares are more brown - Cape Hare more grey.
    Not indicative, but part of the adding up of info to ID?

User

Saw a young scrub hare in Pridelands last week - max 6" tall, including ears. Not too far from attentive mom but as cute as a button.

User

I remember out at night once with friends on a farm next to the Vaal we were driving between the "spilpunte" in order to switch them on and off (they couldn't all run at the same time), or something like that. During the night we come across one of these and I'm asked "you want to shoot it? Workers will be grateful" so I go "sure". I get handed the .22, I take aim and shoot. Hare just ducks his head. I get giggled at. I load and shoot again. Hare just ducks his head again. I get laughed at now. I tell the guy "die ding skiet skeel". He takes the rifle and pop, hare down. We get to it and toss it on the bakkie.

The voorman asked me "how did you aim with the .22" and I explained "like you should - front sight level with the rear leaf, rifle should shoot RIGHT above the front sight then". He explained that the rifle is sighted in differently for his preferences. He said the front sight should just be visible at the bottom of the rear leaf and then it'll shoot "in the leaf gap". I figured it's stupid, but left it anyway.

Later when we got home I picked it off the bakkie to go clean it. Upon closer inspection I noticed 2 holes straight through both ears. I think I still have a pic of that (will have to go look for it). I just shot high (due to the sights issue). Hare stood there and took it like it was nothing.

All ears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast