Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Wild animals in the city

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    In the local golf estate, Atlantic Beach where we also lived there was an issue with caracal catching the domestic cats, not sure if that is still around.
    Not lately Kola.

I have regular visits from Cape Grey Buck, who for some reason like to overnight under the trees on the pavement.

User

Quote Originally Posted by mtaute View Post
    Not lately Kola.

I have regular visits from Cape Grey Buck, who for some reason like to overnight under the trees on the pavement.
    I know they wanted to catch and relocate it, maybe they did.

Forgot about the Grey Buck, there are a few.

The Springbuck do not count as wild any longer, but forgot about them too.

User

Those foxes in London must be a surreal experience. I imagine a busy street empty hours after dark and a sly character running between the shadows.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mtaute View Post
    Not lately Kola.

The pavement holds more residual heat than grass

Last week I had a monkey (I think it was a Vervet) in my lounge. I don’t know how good their sense of smell is but we had bought bananas the day before.

I was working and caught some movement out the corner of my eye. The movement continued and when I looked up I saw this fellow. He had strolled in the front door and was walking through to the kitchen. No haste Just walking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I see mention of a few raptors in the thread. Even in urban areas, one will be surprised at the raptors that are found. If people are keen, join Raptors of South Africa page if you on Facebook. Some very interesting sightings .

In the event of a food shortage in SA seems like some of you will be good to go...
    We have the usual like squirrels, guinea fowl, geese but also owls and raptors occasionally. Stupid people who manage the common decided to cut down quite a few pine trees (they say to encourage the fynbos to grow, but then plant some other trees) and now it is not only bare, dry and hot but it chased some of the wildlife away.

User

Unfortunatly the wild bird population in the North Durban suburbs had been destroyed by the large numbers of vervet monkeys. They get into the nests and take the eggs or baby birds.

I rember growing up we used to see lots of birds like louries and hoopos but nothing these days

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

That is a topic on its own.
    I grew up in Oudtshoorn and used to spend most of my time on the veld. Geometrics and Padlopers use to be around, not in high numbers, maybe one a week. Same with the really big Leopards.
    They do not exist in Oudtshoorn anymore. I recently saw one at a vacation station and was quite surprised how big they are compared to the current biggest.

I use to get Mole snakes at about 3-5 per year. The past 5 years there have been less 5.
    Rinkhals use to be here. Their closest location is now 40 km away.
    Age 12 I found a Cape file snake, they have never been seen here before or since.

That is only the stuff I have interest in, imagine the rest

User

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    A tortoise just “appeared” in our garden from nowhere.

Although George would probably not be called a city.

Wed do have resident falcons, some owls, breeding pair of hadedas in our front tree and noisy Guinee fowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wahahahahahaha!! They dig, that's why they just 'appear'.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast