Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Wild animals in the city

Dassies. Tons and tons of them. They lay on the pavement, or on the edge of the road, basking in the sun. By now they are not even phased about cars. If they feel threatened, they jump into the storm water drains. But that's normally only for loud cars or people walking dogs. They are cute but have seen what they are capable of in terms of bites. Neighbour's Jack Russell got hold of one that ventured into his yard. Dog killed it, but not without him getting a boatload of stitches in his leg, leaving a huge scar behind. Could have lost the leg.

User

zguy you sure those aren't cane rats (rietrotte)? We find them here in Pretoria around the storm water drains often, and they can get HUGE. Like the size of a large cat, easily.

Although there are cane rats (Rietrot) along the Moreleta waterway, I have seen dassies in the area on the Northern side of the mountain that overlooks Silverton in Pretoria They were on the pavement and ran into the storm water drain when I parked there. You can confirm this with Andrew Tonkin who lives there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Despite the fact that they can cause considerable damage to crops and water pipes, I really like porcupine. Having something like that in the city at least gives you a bit of interaction with nature. My boss, who lives in London, has told me about a fox that visits their garden regularly. Some wild animals can adapt to city and suburban living surprisingly well.
    Foxes in London (in most UK cities) are extremely common and a pest. Drive around late in the evening or early morning in the suburbs and the streets are full of them. Ripping open the rubbish awaiting collection is their favourite activity.

User

In quite a few cities in France wild boars has been seen walking around in broad daylight!

Foxes as well.

Last week Saturday we hunted between the plots/houses in our town. As food gets scarcer in the mountains the boars come down and do a lot of damage. 8 boars were chased up - all within 50m of houses. If there is a small hedge or "riet bos" they will shelter in it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    zguy you sure those aren't cane rats (rietrotte)? We find them here in Pretoria around the storm water drains often, and they can get HUGE. Like the size of a large cat, easily.
    Zguy does stay in area known to have dassies (without giving away too much info).

Either last year or the year before I found a cane rat in my swimming pool which had drowned (thanks to your post I now know what it's called), they really do get massive, was quite surprised when I found it.

User

Had a genet in the house a few years back. We’re about a km from the braamfontein spruit in morningside so it was a surprise.

Also a number of guinea fowl in the neighbourhood which is always welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

We have a stokstertmeerkat which visits often (possibly for the dog food), and I have caught and relocated one boomslang, one cape cobra and a few mole snakes from the garden to Koeberg reserve.

And once a large baboon spider (that is what I think it was from what I could see).

In the local golf estate, Atlantic Beach where we also lived there was an issue with caracal catching the domestic cats, not sure if that is still around.

Edge of Melkbosstrand.

User

We have Spotted Eagle Owls nesting and roosting in one of our neighbour's large trees from time to time here in the Old East of Pretoria. A couple of years ago, we also had a Nagapie and Helmeted Guineafowl roosting in one of our Fever Trees. Spotted Thick-Knees (previous name Spotted Dikkops) are regulars in the quieter parts of the street too...

User

I live next to the Mount Edgecombe Country Club Estate, often get to see bushbuck and impala.
    I always wonder how they manage their animal numbers in these eco estates.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast