Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default 3M Peltor SportTac Repair

So I need some help...

The black rubber wire on my Peltor's are starting to tear and I can now clearly see the individual wires.

I don't want to use insulation tape as that does not look nice and to use heat shrink I suspect I would need to cut the wires and I don't want to do that.

Does anyone know if there is a place that I can take them where they can be repaired?

Already phone the one gun store I frequent as they sell them but can't assist (or at least not at this point in time).

They are a couple of years old but still function great.

User

Default Re: 3M Peltor SportTac Repair

Insulation tape will work, won't look like the original but it will work. Get Nitto or 3M insulation tape.

User

Was hoping to get something that looks OEM but if that is the only option then I will just need to live with it.

Thanks Vaal, will keep an eye out for those two brands.

User

You can donate them to me and I'll give you my passive set for free. Win win.
    Google self amalgamating tape, maybe that's an option? No need to cut wires but will cure and form a solid connection that applies like insulation tape but cures so that it can never unpeel.

Seemed to work just fine the other day

User

I have the exact same issue. Used insulation tape but it started coming off.

Another solution I am considering is using Sugru. It is a mouldable glue that is flexible when cured.

I have recently switched over to custom earplugs so I never got round to trying the Sugru fix.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mischif93 View Post
    Was hoping to get something that looks OEM but if that is the only option then I will just need to live with it.

Thanks Vaal, will keep an eye out for those two brands.
    Question: if you open them up, are there plugs on the end or are the wires soldered onto the pc boards? If it is plugs maybe you can slip shrink sleeving over it. I think the self "vulconising" tape might work better than normal pvc tape but it is not as mechanical wear resistant than the pvc.

User

zguy has jokes

Thanks all for the suggestions, will investigate them all.
    @Bronxlive, those earplugs of yours, are they also active protection?

@Vaal, I just checked and it does have the plug but it also has "shoulders" (lack a better word) to stop the wire from moving, I will try some slip some heat shrink on but I suspect that the diameter that I will need where I am able to get it past that point means it might not be a tight fit once shrunk but no harm in trying.

User

zguy has jokes

Thanks all for the suggestions, will investigate them all.

@Vaal, I just checked and it does have the plug but it also has "shoulders" (lack a better word) to stop the wire from moving, I will try some slip some heat shrink on but I suspect that the diameter that I will need where I am able to get it past that point means it might not be a tight fit once shrunk but no harm in trying.
    If there is a little space to play there is a way to trick it, overkill for a tight fit but possible.
    Find a heatshrink size that will fit over the plugs, that one will be used as the final skin.
    Test its final "shrinked" size to determine how much play there will be.
    Depending on how much play there is then take another one or two heatshrinks and slicedown the lengths to place over the area to be repaired or sealed.
    Place the 1 or 2 sliced heatshrinks in place and then slip the final outside finishing skin layer over the first layers, heat all together but heat gradually to allow the heat to penetrate to the inside layers of heatshrink and allow them to shrink as well.
    All will (or should) shrink forming a thickly compacted layer.

I have done this with my 3d printer thermistor wire (it's a thin and brittle cored wire) in the past in an area where it was prone to breaking due to the movement of the bed.

User

zguy has jokes

Mine are passives with filters. IIRC it's the Noiseban customs.

They have replaceable filters to allow more or less sound. The ones I have in at the moment (black filters)barely allows me to hear conversations.

You do get an electronic option, but it is very expensive (around R9k when I last enquired).

I will strongly recomment them as they are much more comfy than the earmuffs.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

User

Thanks all for the suggestions, unfortunately, due to work I have not had a chance to explore any of them yet.

I did however stumble across a site today that sells replacement headbands with the wire/loom but also due to work have not looked into it properly either but dropping the link here.
    https://www.showcomms.com/peltor/spo...-headband.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast