Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Does a Safe need to have makers mark on it.

User

I see in this spec sheet of the thickness do differ and that manufacture markings are required.

Question. Does this means now that your rifle safe bought pre 2008 with the thinner walls do not comply. Does this means that the rifle safe bought pre 2008 that comply with the thickness standard, but doesn't have manufacturing markings on it does not comply.
    Does this mean that a safe that was inspected by SAPS pre 2008 and signed of does not comply now as a rifle safe. Does this means you cannot build your own safe anymore, or if you do, must enter your own markings on it.

User

You can build your own safe.
    You don't need to have a stamp on it.

The minimum thicknesses, lock, hinges, how and with what's it's bolted and internal welds is what your dfo will look at. You can ask them to inspect it.

When you do an application you sign that your safe is compliant.

I always submit photos with apps.

User

Just remember that this will be yet another of those situations that will vary from police station to police station and from DFO to DFO and that what any DFO deems to be acceptable or not acceptable, may or may not have anything to do with what the Act, Regulations or SABS Standards actually say.

Although there are other ways of doing this, I suggest that the method with least heartache to be a commercial safe and asking the supplier for a certificate that states that the safe complies with the SABS requirements. Those same manufacturers generally put a serial number and a stamp or logo of some sort on their safes anyway. There's nothing that convinces a DFO better than a certificate from the safe manufacturer with a recognisable letterhead and a logo............

User

Yes, let us make it more difficult to get licensed. Let us tell the police of all the extra paperwork they can make us do. Just to show how compliant we are.

I don't know....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2