Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Firearm Amnesty - How does it actually work?

Hi all, suppose someone was in a situation and had to make use of the firearm amnesty for whatever reason, how does the process actually work? I read that they run ballistics on all firearms which makes sense, but is there a document they give you confirming that you have handed it in etc?

Is it really as simple as that?

Default Re: Firearm Amnesty - How does it actually work?

Yes, it is as simple as that. Not that I have experience, but from speaking to the DFO.
    You get a receipt, yet.

Most important is to have valid reasons

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Mk1 View Post
    Hi all, suppose someone was in a situation and had to make use of the firearm amnesty for whatever reason, how does the process actually work? I read that they run ballistics on all firearms which makes sense, but is there a document they give you confirming that you have handed it in etc?

Is it really as simple as that?
    I've done 1 so far for myself to myself.
    Was one of the many who had an expired white license and was hoping that GOSA would win that case.
    Anyways, I went in to my DFO in November with the gun in hand (wrapped up in some bubble wrap after I oiled it generously), took my Sap271, motivation, with and all my supporting documentation as per usual.
    Motivation has a heading saying 'Renewal of Firearm License under Firearms Amnesty 2020/2021'
    DFO checked out all my paperwork, then told me to go another office in another block to hand over the firearm.
    The captain there starting filling out the paperwork, filled out a carbon copy form for the FAs surrender and I made sure to tell her and to write down that this FA will not be surrendered for destruction, but rather surrendered for renewal of license (If you don't do this and categorically state that this is the case, then kiss your gun goodbye)
    She tied a tag onto the trigger guard, made a note of the condition of Firearm (I think), asked whether I was handing over any ammo or mags, to which I responded negative. When she asked me why, I said that I have other guns that can shoot the ammo and if I don't get my gun back from them (for whatever reason, they sold it, it gets stolen or destroyed) I can at least sell the mags and grips etc to offset my loss. She let me wrap the gun in bubble wrap again, but making sure that it didn't cover the tag, then bagged it in a clear evidence ziploc bag.
    I signed the receipt and got the top copy to keep as proof.
    I was told to go back to the DFOs office to sort out my paperwork with a payment receipt in hand.
    DFO confirmed all was in order and then I buggered off.
    By the way, you have to make sure on the Sap271, under current owner and new owner to list your details, but to list the SAPS offices as the address where the FA is kept(The DFO usually sorts this out)
    The process I got so far, is that the firearm will be sent for Ballistic testing to a local police range, 1 round will be fired into the backstop and only the shell recovered and sent for testing to the provincial testing office/lab in Amanzimtoti, after testing is clear, then your Paperwork can proceed from the Local DFO to provincial and onwards to the CFR as per usual.
    Just remember, best is to take your Sap271 and motivation etc all at the same time that you go in to surrender the FA, because otherwise, you have 14 days within which to submit the paperwork, otherwise the FA will be sent for destruction.
    On a side note, I asked the captain what ammo will be used for testing and I was told that the surrendered ammo would be used. Now just imagine that someone surrenders suspect reloaded ammo and then it gets used to test a firearm, the damage would be extensive, more so if it's a large calibre hunting rifle

Hope this helps

User

It's 2 months already, and I still haven't received a 'payment received' sms for that FA. When I called the DFOs office to enquire, I was told that the app will only move forward once the FA comes back from /Ballistic test results come in.
    So now it's a damn slow waiting game, I hope I don't regret this

User

Thanks guys.

@BBT you are surrendering for them to keep the firearm while you reapply for your license, is that why you took all those docs with you?

Valid reasons? You cant be charged with anything relating to the unlicensed firearm though right (Obviously excluding if it was found to be used in a crime or whatever)? I thought that the amnesty goes as far as if I had a firearm with no serials etc that I got from who knows where I could still hand it in without getting in trouble?

User

CAn I add a side question, a friend of mine has found his dead grand dad's .22 winchester 62. In pristine condition. There might be an old licence from 19voetsak. Can he apply for it under the amnesty or is it a hand it in situation?

User

Thanks guys.

@BBT you are surrendering for them to keep the firearm while you reapply for your license, is that why you took all those docs with you?

Valid reasons? You cant be charged with anything relating to the unlicensed firearm though right (Obviously excluding if it was found to be used in a crime or whatever)? I thought that the amnesty goes as far as if I had a firearm with no serials etc that I got from who knows where I could still hand it in without getting in trouble?
    I'm no prophet but I foresee troubles in your future.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    I'm no prophet but I foresee troubles in your future.....
    Just in case its missed that is a purely an example

User

Just in case its missed that is a purely an example
    Haha ok. I would also be interested to know just how the amnesty works. I mean technically could you bring in any gun and just say that you inherited it from whomever but forgot it that it was in your safe, or their safe was never opened, etc.

User

I would be highly skeptical, even if the DFO said I could.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast