User

Default Rifle and handgun safe

Good evening everyone,
    I am looking for a 8-10 rifle safe that also has space for a few handguns, it would have to meet the SANBS 953-1 / 953-2 spec. Please could you offer some advice and who to speak to about this?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Rifle and handgun safe

Best put down a budget uncle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Best put down a budget uncle.
    Agreed, just have no idea what I am looking at to be honest :(

User

Quote Originally Posted by thegeneral View Post
    Good evening everyone,
    I am looking for a 8-10 rifle safe that also has space for a few handguns, it would have to meet the SANBS 953-1 / 953-2 spec. Please could you offer some advice and who to speak to about this?

Thanks

http://www.magnumsafes.co.za/SAFES.html

User

I don't have good advice but I'll give it none the less. I have a MA3 and it does not hold 5 rifles, it holds 4. I think in most cases you have to go bigger by 1 or 2 rifles. Target stocks, pump action foregrips and scopes make it so. I think they use pellet guns with no scopes when they cut the foam.

If I had to buy new I would go to the nearest safe manufacturer and ask him to make me one. Some sell at the same price as a store. Irritate them. Stores have to think about courier charges so you should get it for less.

For second-hand I would end up buying 2-3 safes. Second-hand 4-5 Rifle safes in Gauteng go for about R3,5k to R4k- in the W Cape for about R4k to R4,5k.
    To get to 10 I would likely have to buy 3. I would not get just enough. I know it will make me angry in the long run, maybe even a month or two later
    I'd have to make space for them to stand in a row in the garage, sacrifice a few closets or I have the option to put one in the main sleeping room or at a second home.

Just for interest I saw this 16 at Safari Outdoor. If I had to guess how many rifles it would take, to be on the safe side,I would say about 12-14.
    This seems to be a custom because I do not see it on their standard safes page...Safari is a bit more expensive...I would aim at R14k to R15k from the manufacturer or a shop closer to the factory.

https://i.imgur.com/1oiVXrr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/MzSPij6.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lO2X8I7.jpg

SA safe manufacturers should do what Liberty Safes do on some of their safes. They fix pockets/holsters to the door and you can store your handguns or whatever in them. Real space saver.

User

Contact National safes if you are on a budget, I picked up a reconditioned 16 rifle safe for R6500 from them, it looks good as new. They do standard safes, custom jobs and reconditioning. Gary was very helpful when I explained my needs vs my budget.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    SA safe manufacturers should do what Liberty Safes do on some of their safes. They fix pockets/holsters to the door and you can store your handguns or whatever in them. Real space saver.
    That can trap moisture.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    That can trap moisture.
    Good point. Probably why some have a kind of electronic dehumidifier built in if I remember correctly.

For a DIY job, what if you use something like cordura and glue it to the door? And of course you use a little mini dehumidifier like Solenco sells.