Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Interested in getting an AR

Hi guys

This subject has probably been hammered on so many times but I have to get some clarity for myself.

Basically looking to get an AR for range purposes and maybe even some events/competition shooting at a later stage.

What brands of AR to look at within a budget of around 20k? Do I go 9mm or do I go .223/5.56 route?

Keeping in mind reliability and value for money, what can I go for? I would consider a used one in mint condition too.

Shot guys!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Default Re: Interested in getting an AR

I would look at and am looking at. The Ruger PC Charger in 9mmP. Licensed as a pistol. Put a stock on. And a nice Ase Suppressor. And Bob's your uncle. Even can take Glock mags.

And 9mmP alot cheaper then 223 ammo.

User

9mmP AR. To reload 223 cost a ton and is a pain in the arse. I absolutely love my Karris 16" pcc, only shot about 40 shots with it on the dealers range even without any sights on it. I'm still busy completing my application.

User

What type of competition would you like to participate in?

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    What type of competition would you like to participate in?
    Mate, I am honestly not too clued up on the different types of competition as I am very new to the gun scene but trying to learn as I go along. Care to explain which competitions require which firearms please??

User
    In the middle of two mountains, between two oceans.

Pcc, shot timers and 3gun just don't seem to connect on a shooting competition platform

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaShooter_86 View Post
    Mate, I am honestly not too clued up on the different types of competition as I am very new to the gun scene but trying to learn as I go along. Care to explain which competitions require which firearms please??

Find a sport you like, and then guy sport specific guns for it.
    No point buying a 10.5" AR15 and then you can't make factor, or buying a 300blk only to find out you won't make major factor, and have to shoot minor with an increased recoil penalty...

Find what you want to shoot, look at the rules, see what other guys are shooting and go from there.

Unfortunately "plinking, or range use" is not a way we can license a Self Loading Rifle in this country, as much as it sucks it is what it is.

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaShooter_86 View Post

There are many different games to play. My favourite is by far, IPSC. Don’t be in a rush to buy. As another poster said, firstly decide which game you would like to play.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Stevin View Post
    Find a sport you like, and then guy sport specific guns for it.
    No point buying a 10.5" AR15 and then you can't make factor, or buying a 300blk only to find out you won't make major factor, and have to shoot minor with an increased recoil penalty...

Find what you want to shoot, look at the rules, see what other guys are shooting and go from there.

Unfortunately "plinking, or range use" is not a way we can license a Self Loading Rifle in this country, as much as it sucks it is what it is.
    This is great advice....

As with everything in life, work out which shooting sports, discipline(s) and division(s) you plan to compete in and then buy something that works for that specific sport and division (ie. check the rules, what is allowed and, importantly, what is also not allowed).

User

Start by deciding where you want to shoot. Which club would you like to join? Then you can see which events happen there most often. What are your mates doing? If none of your mates shoot, look at your nearest IPSC club. Friendly bunch...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast