Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Norinco Type 56. Guidance please.

A proper factory 66 type AK is decent, reliable and short of winning the lotto to spend on ammo, spares are not needed. Some copies are questionable. Saiga rifles are hard to beat, the 223 version is really good. The 7.62 can shoot cheap AK ammo all day long. Bulk cheap 223 is a distant memory. The equivalent military grade AR is the Colt and we don't know when we will see another. The Smith AR has a good rep though and the AR is a better option if you plan to reload. AR parts for now are easy to get and you will need a few over time with the cheaper variants. The big question is what changes Biden may make to the export of parts. A suppressor is another story.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    A proper factory 66 type AK is decent, reliable and short of winning the lotto to spend on ammo, spares are not needed. Some copies are questionable. Saiga rifles are hard to beat, the 223 version is really good. The 7.62 can shoot cheap AK ammo all day long. Bulk cheap 223 is a distant memory. The equivalent military grade AR is the Colt and we don't know when we will see another. The Smith AR has a good rep though and the AR is a better option if you plan to reload. AR parts for now are easy to get and you will need a few over time with the cheaper variants. The big question is what changes Biden may make to the export of parts. A suppressor is another story.

Pardon my ignorance here, but what is a "factory 66 type" model AK? Also, what is the issue with reloading 7.62x39?

User

For what sport?

I can not think of any in which the AK platform is quicker or more ergonomic to run than an AR

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    For what sport?

I can think of any in which the AK platform is quicker or more ergonomic to run than an AR

I'm not competitive. It's okey if it's slower and less ergonomic.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    I'm not competitive. It's okey if it's slower and less ergonomic.
    The question remains what sport?

You are talking cans, which bumps you into Open in many.

Magnified optics can be a bitch on an AK.

As mentioned above, reloading for an AK can get expensive.

Consider options carefully. This is from someone running an AK.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Cockroach View Post
    The question remains what sport?

You are talking cans, which bumps you into Open in many.

Magnified optics can be a bitch on an AK.

As mentioned above, reloading for an AK can get expensive.

Consider options carefully. This is from someone running an AK.

Thank you for the info. I can see the next couple of months will have me glued to forums & youtube, to learn more. To be honest, exactly what sport I want the AK for has not been decided yet. I don't think I want to go magnified optics on the AK. The suppressor I want, just for noise reduction purposes. If it will cause more hassles than its worth, it's not a deal breaker to have one.

When I go the AR (.223) route, I will most likely get a Daniel Defence. I'm a firm believer in, buy once, cry once. The AK, is more for, just, well I want one. If you understand...

User

I'd love to see the "cheap AK ammo" mentioned above...

In my experience, 7.62x39 is not as cheap or as readily available in the civilian market as people think. Expect to pay at least R7/round... also it's not really that easy to load for, using a bullet size that's not that common (.311") and requiring propellant that our "normal" stuff is just not quite optimal for. 223/5.56 is probably a similar cost per round, but can be loaded far easier using readily available components.

Listen to the people here. An AR makes a better "first SLR" because you can legitimately play any of the running and gunning games. If you still want an AK later then buy it because of "I want it" but trust me, from experience, they're suboptimal for most sporting disciplines (which is the only way you're going to realisticly motivate an SLR).

If you buy a AK first I can almost guarantee it's going to become a safe queen after the initial excitement wears off.

DD is vastly over rated. Good marketing though from Larry Vickers. I think it was Spartan and or some other that had AK in bulk for just over R5. Factory 223 is usually much more.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I'd love to see the "cheap AK ammo" mentioned above...

In my experience, 7.62x39 is not as cheap or as readily available in the civilian market as people think. Expect to pay at least R7/round... also it's not really that easy to load for, using a bullet size that's not that common (.311") and requiring propellant that our "normal" stuff is just not quite optimal for. 223/5.56 is probably a similar cost per round, but can be loaded far easier using readily available components.

Listen to the people here. An AR makes a better "first SLR" because you can legitimately play any of the running and gunning games. If you still want an AK later then buy it because of "I want it" but trust me, from experience, they're suboptimal for most sporting disciplines (which is the only way you're going to realisticly motivate an SLR).

If you buy a AK first I can almost guarantee it's going to become a safe queen after the initial excitement wears off.
    Yeah, you guys are probably right. No, you are certainly right...

I'll go ask some questions in the AR section.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    DD is vastly over rated. Good marketing though from Larry Vickers.
    Okey. What in your opinion is a good AR then. For a first time buyer?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast