Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Norinco Type 56. Guidance please.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    I'd love to see the "cheap AK ammo" mentioned above...

In my experience, 7.62x39 is not as cheap or as readily available in the civilian market as people think. Expect to pay at least R7/round... also it's not really that easy to load for, using a bullet size that's not that common (.311") and requiring propellant that our "normal" stuff is just not quite optimal for. 223/5.56 is probably a similar cost per round, but can be loaded far easier using readily available components.

Listen to the people here. An AR makes a better "first SLR" because you can legitimately play any of the running and gunning games. If you still want an AK later then buy it because of "I want it" but trust me, from experience, they're suboptimal for most sporting disciplines (which is the only way you're going to realisticly motivate an SLR).

If you buy a AK first I can almost guarantee it's going to become a safe queen after the initial excitement wears off.
    Camdix had factory norinco ammo at R4.60 each sometime in November. That's cheaper than 9mmP at some places

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Thank you for the info. I can see the next couple of months will have me glued to forums & youtube, to learn more. To be honest, exactly what sport I want the AK for has not been decided yet. I don't think I want to go magnified optics on the AK. The suppressor I want, just for noise reduction purposes. If it will cause more hassles than its worth, it's not a deal breaker to have one.

When I go the AR (.223) route, I will most likely get a Daniel Defence. I'm a firm believer in, buy once, cry once. The AK, is more for, just, well I want one. If you understand...
    Choosing an AK, or anything else for that matter, without knowing what sport you want to do with it is like asking what golf clubs to buy for tennis.

It makes about as much sense.

Mission drives the gear train.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Choosing an AK, or anything else for that matter, without knowing what sport you want to do with it is like asking what golf clubs to buy for tennis.

It makes about as much sense.

Mission drives the gear train.
    Yep, agreed. You are correct. I do know plenty of people with AKs & ARs that don't actively, all the time, participate in anything really. They just do what needs to be done to keep their status. They have the rifles, cause they want the rifles, and like having them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    I would consider a S&W M&P 15 Sport, Ruger or a Stag at around R15k a better option than the Saiga. Or at R20k a Troy A3.

Yes there are better option further up in the price range but to dismiss those mentioned for what he wants it for doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Stag and Troy, yes. The others I'd give a miss. The Troy SPCA3 has no BUIS so that's going to cost you around R4K anyway (they are essential on an AR).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Greekboi95 View Post
    Camdix had factory norinco ammo at R4.60 each sometime in November. That's cheaper than 9mmP at some places

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk
    Ja we don't see that in the WC province :-/
    The Norinco stuff is dirty and smelly but damn accurate in my rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Ja we don't see that in the WC province :-/
    The Norinco stuff is dirty and smelly but damn accurate in my rifle.
    To be fair, another mate of mine bought a bulk special from Tac HQ (it was limited supply) and was R4 a bang.

Bellum Arcus also had a bunch at about R4.75 a bang, which I think included shipping to WC.

That said, it is unlikely that we will see those specials again.

User

Damn, didn't know about those. :-(

User

A nicely kitted-out Type56 with all the Magpul accessories is the bizniz!

http://www.gunsite.co.za/content/gun...rinco-type-56/

I would get the AK and in 7.62x39. I would stay away from an AK in 556 or 223 (get LM or Galil), since the ammo for 762 is almost half the price (the last time I checked).

User

I am partial towards the Kalashnikov action, so I would take the Type 56. This is an expensive hobby, so purchasing the more affordable rifle before getting in too deep would be my recommendation. You're also getting a known quality - some factories' castings aren't the prettiest, but as far as I know these are the same factories using the same parts they do in their military contracts.

I'll make a separate entry, but we are looking to make a batch of our dust cover rails to fit smooth dust cover AKs. The sight leaf would be replaced with an insert that holds the anchor bar - the "gutter" on the rail itself would serve as a backup fixed sight.

I've posted a picture below - take note the rifle used is a Romanian AK. I was checking if substituting an LM dust cover would work; it does, but we would need to add a riser to the rear sight, and that's a whole other story.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast