Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: First time SLR buyer... Which AR to get?

Quote Originally Posted by AngusK View Post
    As you rightly say - not everything online is correct, test each source with another few sources to check credibility. Speaking for myself, I have both an AR as well as a Saiga 7.62x39 AK, I like both but I found myself spending more time with the AR as it was just the rifle I gravitated toward. I have future plans for the AK which I have put on the shelf for now, mainly because the parts I want to upgrade with are abroad and not available locally (I found that AK parts are more difficult to find than AR) maybe it is due to compatibility issues from AKs made in different countries, I don’t know, I may also not be looking hard enough.

on the point of barrel length, the shorter you go the slower your Bullets are going to leave the barrel period. The AR was designed to fire lighter rounds like the 50gr or 55gr - during the Vietnam war the 20” barrels had a 1/12 twist that was sufficient to stabilise a lighter bullet and achieve velocities that equated to effectiveness.

in modern times however there are much heavier Bullets that work quite well in shorter barrels that mitigate much of the draw backs of the shorter barrel. There are tests done that show effectiveness in heavier and longer .224 Bullets, the big one being your 77gr TMK and OTM.

another thing worth mentioning, you will need to see if you want an AR that is direct impingement or piston driven like your PWS rifles. consensus I believe being that piston ARs are more reliable under certain circumstances than DI guns.

at the end of the day, you need to make a choice based on what you see as effective.

Speaking for myself again - based on my latest research, if I had to get another AR it would be either be one with a 7-9” Barrel running 300BLK or an AR with a 10.5” with a 1/7 twist and shoot exclusively 77gr Bullets. The above I say already because I have a 14.5” AR.
    What are you looking for, for the AKM?

Looking for Zenitco parts, b33 & PT-3 and a few other small bits but all Zenitco, wanting to keep it all Russian parts

User

I wonder it is not better to buy a longer gun and cut shorter later if you decide so?

Buy whatever you want and can afford right now. Your second one will be different based on what you think you need then, your third different again, rinse and repeat.

As Vaal stated, why not a 9mmP PCC? Ammo is relatively cheap (buying or reloading) and this means that you'll get to enjoy it far more.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed Preacher View Post
    Buy whatever you want and can afford right now. Your second one will be different based on what you think you need then, your third different again, rinse and repeat.

As Vaal stated, why not a 9mmP PCC? Ammo is relatively cheap (buying or reloading) and this means that you'll get to enjoy it far more.
    But isn't it a law that every gun owner at some point in their lives must own and shoot an AR-15? Pretty sure it is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2