Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default First time SLR buyer... Which AR to get?

Good Day,

I will soon be in the market to get my first semi-auto rifle.

Would you recommend this rifle to a first time SLR buyer?

Ideally I'd want to have a suppressor fitted, and also a WML. What should I be looking for regarding those?

Which brands should I be looking at when considering the actual rifle? Is the DM4 good? S&W? Ruger? Or must I save up and get a Daniel Defence?

What length barrel must one go for? Keeping in mind, I want to run it suppressed. I'd like something as short as feasibly possible.

I will be reloading for it, as well.

Any pointers?

Default Re: First time SLR buyer... Which AR to get?

Hi Hyades, this subject has been covered so much online. You can check out so much on YouTube and the general google searches will get you off to a good start. Firstly your budget and secondly - what capabilities you want to have and in what order (from most important to least important) will determine what type rifle and barrel length and twist rate you go for. I have a 14.5 ADC AR 15 and enjoy shooting with it, I understand it is a good compromise as it probably won’t send the same projectiles faster than say an 18” barrel but is slightly more compact therefore easier to move around tighter spaces however not as compact as a 10.5”. Looking at some of your requirements I think you would be better off along the lines of a shorter barrel as you want to run it suppressed. Running a shorter barrel is a good idea with a good suppressor as this mitigates a lot of flash and concussion. Many ARs are fitted with 1/7 twist barrels to send heavier Bullets down range accurately like the 77gr SMK or TMKs if you are loading for yourself these Bullets shine very much in the 10.5-12” barrels.

regarding suppressing the AR, going with a heavier buffer and/or adj. gas block is a necessity- trust me on this.

there are many distributors for ARs that sell rifles from many manufacturers from around the world. You can try Bellum Arcus or Tac HQ if you are in JHB as I found them to be very switched on when it comes to ARs. They can become very expensive rifles with attachments etc.. but do your research, check the info against other sources, justify your purchase with facts as to why this rifle is more expensive than... you get the idea.

AR15s can be very rewarding to shoot, you can upgrade almost all aspects of the rifle to a degree to make it shoot smoother, handle better and you would be hard pressed to find a more modular system.

good luck with your choice bud. Hopefully one day see you at range burning it up

User

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply. Much appreciated!

As we all have I suspect... watched a lot of YouTube, but it's not always the best information, mostly cause pretty much everything is based in the States, and a lot of the things we cannot get here, or get easy here. Thus the types of rifles available here may differ from there. Also, if one buys a lemon there, it's not a big issue. Here it's a massive train wreck!

This is why I thought buying an AK for a first time buyer would be better, as it's simpler. Well that's what my uneducated SLR brain tells/told me. But the guys in the AK section of the forum advised me against an AK.

I'll have to read up a lot more, regarding the barrel length. I'd really like a small short "thing" with a nice big can on, but I've heard that 556 don't like short barrels much.

Should I stay away from 300 black out? Or is that an option if you wanna run suppressed?

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The options are numerous.

You should ponder on what you need the rifle for and what you are going to do with it. Serious Sport Shooting vs once in a while sport shooting vs having it in the safe to impress my buddies with vs I just want it vs a hobby project to see what and how many gadgets I can get to fit etc.

I am in the category of about 2 club shoots per year, not highly competitive, using my AR and then further some plinking and target shooting for the kids, using factory ammo and sometimes it is used as my bakkie rifle on the farm. I don't need or want to impress any of my friends and don't even try to employ it as my self defence weapon. For this my stock standard Ruger AR 556 with a 2,5-10 x scope with Illuminated reticule and a smallish custom build suppressor serves me to perfection. (The suppressor) is just to get it manageable (but still and always better to use decent ear protection) to shoot without ear protection if it is used quickly from the bakkie when on the farm. An AR is really serious on causing ear damage!

User

As the guys have rightly pointed out already you need to know what sporting activity you wish to compete in and then get the gun based on the needs of the sport.

With that disclaimer out of the way.....

Just worth pointing out that there are cans and then there are cans.

The latter being ASE UTRA; and those aren't cheap. And if you're going to run with a can you probably want an adjustable gas block. But then you mention "shorty" and 300BLK in the same sentence which really leaves you no other option that the SIG MCX Rattler in 300BLK :-)

https://www.sigsauer.com/sig-mcx-rattler-sbr.html

Don't take me too seriously though.

As you rightly say - not everything online is correct, test each source with another few sources to check credibility. Speaking for myself, I have both an AR as well as a Saiga 7.62x39 AK, I like both but I found myself spending more time with the AR as it was just the rifle I gravitated toward. I have future plans for the AK which I have put on the shelf for now, mainly because the parts I want to upgrade with are abroad and not available locally (I found that AK parts are more difficult to find than AR) maybe it is due to compatibility issues from AKs made in different countries, I don’t know, I may also not be looking hard enough.

on the point of barrel length, the shorter you go the slower your Bullets are going to leave the barrel period. The AR was designed to fire lighter rounds like the 50gr or 55gr - during the Vietnam war the 20” barrels had a 1/12 twist that was sufficient to stabilise a lighter bullet and achieve velocities that equated to effectiveness.

in modern times however there are much heavier Bullets that work quite well in shorter barrels that mitigate much of the draw backs of the shorter barrel. There are tests done that show effectiveness in heavier and longer .224 Bullets, the big one being your 77gr TMK and OTM.

another thing worth mentioning, you will need to see if you want an AR that is direct impingement or piston driven like your PWS rifles. consensus I believe being that piston ARs are more reliable under certain circumstances than DI guns.

at the end of the day, you need to make a choice based on what you see as effective.

Speaking for myself again - based on my latest research, if I had to get another AR it would be either be one with a 7-9” Barrel running 300BLK or an AR with a 10.5” with a 1/7 twist and shoot exclusively 77gr Bullets. The above I say already because I have a 14.5” AR.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusK View Post
    As you rightly say - not everything online is correct, test each source with another few sources to check credibility. Speaking for myself, I have both an AR as well as a Saiga 7.62x39 AK, I like both but I found myself spending more time with the AR as it was just the rifle I gravitated toward. I have future plans for the AK which I have put on the shelf for now, mainly because the parts I want to upgrade with are abroad and not available locally (I found that AK parts are more difficult to find than AR) maybe it is due to compatibility issues from AKs made in different countries, I don’t know, I may also not be looking hard enough.

on the point of barrel length, the shorter you go the slower your Bullets are going to leave the barrel period. The AR was designed to fire lighter rounds like the 50gr or 55gr - during the Vietnam war the 20” barrels had a 1/12 twist that was sufficient to stabilise a lighter bullet and achieve velocities that equated to effectiveness.

in modern times however there are much heavier Bullets that work quite well in shorter barrels that mitigate much of the draw backs of the shorter barrel. There are tests done that show effectiveness in heavier and longer .224 Bullets, the big one being your 77gr TMK and OTM.

another thing worth mentioning, you will need to see if you want an AR that is direct impingement or piston driven like your PWS rifles. consensus I believe being that piston ARs are more reliable under certain circumstances than DI guns.

at the end of the day, you need to make a choice based on what you see as effective.

Speaking for myself again - based on my latest research, if I had to get another AR it would be either be one with a 7-9” Barrel running 300BLK or an AR with a 10.5” with a 1/7 twist and shoot exclusively 77gr Bullets. The above I say already because I have a 14.5” AR.
    How common is 77gr factory ammo?

He says he will be reloading so I guess it's not an issue, but still useful info to have.

I haven’t managed to find factory Ammo in 77gr before, if someone is selling it would be for a pretty penny. Only managed to find Bullets needed to reload.

User

My latest rifle is a 9mmP AR for PCC. I do enjoy my AR 16" and AK 56 but I think the PCC will get most of the love when the license arrives. To load for 223 is a pain and I don't load for 7.62×39. The PCC will cost about R2.50 to load with the same ammo as my production div pistol. Why not a PCC?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    My latest rifle is a 9mmP AR for PCC. I do enjoy my AR 16" and AK 56 but I think the PCC will get most of the love when the license arrives. To load for 223 is a pain and I don't load for 7.62×39. The PCC will cost about R2.50 to load with the same ammo as my production div pistol. Why not a PCC?
    This is good advice!!

Im waiting for a license for my AK, probably going to do one or 2 shoots with it but I know for a fact its going to be a “fuckaround” gun and for Dedicated Apocalypse Shooting....

I have my mind made up on an AR, but it will be in 9mmP because ease of use, cost of ammo, fun factor in matches, more ranges will accommodate you, and you will generally have a great time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast