User

Default Competency to own/Competency to collect

I own firearms under dedicated hunter, dedicated sports shooter & collector status.

My first batch of renewals was an assortment of the above 3 categories and was submitted in December 2019. Approval was delayed for a few weeks because they wanted me to renew my competency even though it had about 5 years to run. Reason given was that "You have to also renew your competency when you do your first firearm licence renewal". Apparently this was a verbal instruction that came from Provincial level. I did what they wanted but during the process I made sure to prove to my DFO that there was no real requirement to do so, which he eventually conceded after Provincial wouldn't give him anything in writing. In his defence, he just has to follow orders. The renewals were all approved.

Roll on mid-2020 and I submit the next batch of renewals which is also an assortment under the 3 categories. I checked on the SAPS web page regularly but there seemed to be no progress for about 7 months until this past Tuesday when I get a call from the DFO who tells me my renewals "cannot be processed because I only have competency to collect firearms, not competency to own firearms" and Provincial say I have to submit an application for additional competency to own firearms.

Ever since the FCA came into being I have used the same competency card to apply for all my licences, irrespective of whether they were for collecting, hunting, or sport shooting so SAPS/CFR can't claim that there has always been a requirement for multiple competencies. If the requirement has always been there, then they have made multiple mistakes by issuing me all those licences.

I know that several other collectors in the Western Cape have also run into this requirement during 2020 for needing 2 competencies, being: 1) Competency to own; and 2) Competency to collect.

Where does this rule come from and is it happening in other provinces?

Default Re: Competency to own/Competency to collect

Excuse my ignorance but how would a competency to collect differ from a competency to own ?

User

SAPS incompetence at it's best.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but how would a competency to collect differ from a competency to own ?
    You're not ignorant.

Supporting paperwork is identical, process is identical. The only difference seems to be the actual wording on the card itself..........

It is not competency to own, but to possess. Wether the psssession is for self defence or sports shooting or hunting or collecting is irrelevant. However, collecting requires SAPS categorisation and this is indicated on your competency card.

I agree "SAPS incompetence at it's best"

Peter