Default Private firearm sale procedure

Hi guys, hope all is well.

I was wondering what the protocol is when buying a firearm as a private sale i.e not from a dealer.

I bought a new pistol from a dealer so I know it stays there until it is licensed but what do I do if I want to buy and additional firearm such as AR in a private sale scenario?

Thanks gents

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Private firearm sale procedure

Pea,
    If you already have a rifle safe and comp for SLR, you should be ok to store the gun until change of ownership (although you may be required to have a licence for a SLR already ?)

Print and fill in: SAPS539 Permission to store (2 copies required - one for DFO to keep, one for you) - get DFO to stamp approval, as I understand it

and SAPS534 Change of Ownership

and SAPS271 Firearm Licence Application

Regs:
    "(4) (a) A person who holds a licence to possess a firearm may store a firearm in respect of which he or she does not hold a licence, if-(i) he or she is in possession of written permission given by the person who holds a licence, permit or authorisation to possess that firearm and which permission is endorsed by a relevant Designated Firearms Officer; and
    (ii) the firearm is stored in a prescribed safe at the place mentioned in the permission contemplated in subparagraph (i).
    (b) Only the person who holds a licence, permit or authorisation to possess the firearm may transport that firearm to and from the place where that firearm is to be stored in terms of paragraph (a).
    (c) The permissions contemplated in paragraph (a), must specify the period for which the person concerned may store the firearm, the reason for the storage and it must contain sufficient particulars to identify the licence permit or authorisation and also the firearm in question, as well as, the name, identity number and physical address of the holder of the licence and the person to whom the authority is granted.
    (d) A permit contemplated in subparagraph (a) may be cancelled at any time by a relevant Designated Firearms Officer on good cause.
    (e) A firearm stored in terms of this regulation may not be used by the person who provides the storage or any other person while it is stored in terms of this regulation.
    (f) Only the holder of the licence applying to the firearm may remove the firearm from the safe or strongroom where it is stored."

Default Re: Private firearm sale procedure

Quote Originally Posted by JhbBoy View Post
    Pea,
    If you already have a rifle safe and comp for SLR, you should be ok to store the gun until change of ownership (although you may be required to have a licence for a SLR already ?)

Print and fill in: SAPS539 Permission to store (2 copies required - one for DFO to keep, one for you) - get DFO to stamp approval, as I understand it

and SAPS534 Change of Ownership

and SAPS271 Firearm Licence Application

Regs:
    "(4) (a) A person who holds a licence to possess a firearm may store a firearm in respect of which he or she does not hold a licence, if-(i) he or she is in possession of written permission given by the person who holds a licence, permit or authorisation to possess that firearm and which permission is endorsed by a relevant Designated Firearms Officer; and
    (ii) the firearm is stored in a prescribed safe at the place mentioned in the permission contemplated in subparagraph (i).
    (b) Only the person who holds a licence, permit or authorisation to possess the firearm may transport that firearm to and from the place where that firearm is to be stored in terms of paragraph (a).
    (c) The permissions contemplated in paragraph (a), must specify the period for which the person concerned may store the firearm, the reason for the storage and it must contain sufficient particulars to identify the licence permit or authorisation and also the firearm in question, as well as, the name, identity number and physical address of the holder of the licence and the person to whom the authority is granted.
    (d) A permit contemplated in subparagraph (a) may be cancelled at any time by a relevant Designated Firearms Officer on good cause.
    (e) A firearm stored in terms of this regulation may not be used by the person who provides the storage or any other person while it is stored in terms of this regulation.
    (f) Only the holder of the licence applying to the firearm may remove the firearm from the safe or strongroom where it is stored."
    Thanks kindly sir

I have done my proficiencies which included the SLR. And last week handed in my application for competency for my S13 firearm

I have no safe as of yet.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk