Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Article: "Shooting of would-be hijacker by Porsche driver could be justified - report"

https://www.news24.com/news24/southa...eport-20210119

Can't do the copy-paste thing from News24 articles anymore...

From TimesLive:" A man allegedly attempting to hijack a Porsche Cayenne died in a shooting on Old Johannesburg Road near the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria on Thursday.
    The dead man is believed to be about 30 years old.
    Police spokesperson Capt Augustinah Selepe said the police are investigating a case of murder and attempted hijacking.
    “It is alleged five suspects driving a red Toyota double cab blocked a grey Porsche Cayenne. Suspects approached the driver of the Porsche and he immediately took out his firearm and shot one suspect. The other suspects drove off,” she said.
    Selepe said the suspect’s firearm and ammunition were discovered on the scene. The firearm will be taken for ballistic tests to ascertain whether it was previously used in serious crimes.

Now, one story says he was not arrested, but there's a murder case being investigated ... somebody explain please.
    Should they have reported an 'inquest was opened', instead?

Anyhooooo, five against one (one with a gun) in my mind says draw firearm and start sending lead downrange. Seems justified to me.

Default Re: Article: "Shooting of would-be hijacker by Porsche driver could be justified - report"

It is standard procedure in ALL cases when someone is shot dead to open a murder case, its up to the NPA to decide if that will continue or not (i.e. self defense which would be the likely decision in this instance)

User

Default Re: Article: "Shooting of would-be hijacker by Porsche driver could be justified - report"

I death can be declared self defence on the scene by saps. That however requires paperwork and grey matter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    I death can be declared self defence on the scene by saps. That however requires paperwork and grey matter.
    Tend to agree...chatted to an an ex SAPS colonel...they are wrong to have charged him for "intentional unlawful death" which this clearly wasn't...the attending officer could've opened an inquest (cos it's an unnatural death) and made the guy answer questions (as a witness to the incident he's obliged to co-operate).

I think they referring to a case of murder and hijacking for the perps based on the firearm. I’ve read the article a few times and this is what I was getting.

Banned

Still poor reporting. Other countries report an inquest to be opened - death not due to natural causes. That does not place a stigma on the person involved in the incident.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Still poor reporting. Other countries report an inquest to be opened - death not due to natural causes. That does not place a stigma on the person involved in the incident.
    Piss poor. I took News24 on about this on Sunday via email. Their response was astounding...

Quote Originally Posted by hannesfouche View Post
    It is standard procedure in ALL cases when someone is shot dead to open a murder case, its up to the NPA to decide if that will continue or not (i.e. self defense which would be the likely decision in this instance)
    No it isn't.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    Piss poor. I took News24 on about this on Sunday via email. Their response was astounding...
    what was their response?

Would be hi jacker. As the firearm and ammunition that was found with him was merely his voucher to purchase a vehicle. And the car that sped away was a shared Uber driver with 3 other passengers sharing the ride cost.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast