Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Average wait for ballistic testing?

I had my pistol sent in for ballistic testing at the beginning of March 2020. An attempted hijacking. What is the average waiting time for ballistic testing to be completed and a firearm returned?

Is there also someone in the know who can expedite the process if it's outside said turnaround time? The detective assigned to my case has been very professional and helpful, but I'd like to compete with it again, carry it again and I get the feeling that inaction's going to lead to years of waiting.

User

Default Re: Average wait for ballistic testing?

Chances are that nobody will bother to let the investigating officer know that the firearm went back to the saps 13 store, so maybe start with that person to check up for you. I was lucky in that somebody in my club was a family member of the ballistics dude so this helped trace the pistol.

That was my experience, fortunately the week before my incident, a second pistol license came through so I wasn't "naked" for those few weeks.

Mine took a year to get back.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Get the detective to follow up. That usually helps. One of our members got his pistol back within a few weeks. Very often, the tested firearms stack up at the facility.

User

Mine took around 6 months with my lawyer (who was ex saps) enquiring.

mine already in for over a year and not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Approx 4 months and waiting. Was told by the detective handling the case to call back mid Feb 2021.

An expensive pistol with an RDS, and, it had blood on it when it went in. Not sure what condition I will get it back in either.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    Approx 4 months and waiting. Was told by the detective handling the case to call back mid Feb 2021.

An expensive pistol with an RDS, and, it had blood on it when it went in. Not sure what condition I will get it back in either.
    Mine didn't have fluids on it when it went in but I got it back in perfect condition, or at least no worse than it went in. Got my mag back and all my ammo too, less one round for testing.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Mine didn't have fluids on it when it went in but I got it back in perfect condition, or at least no worse than it went in. Got my mag back and all my ammo too, less one round for testing.
    Mine was tested with their ammo btw. Pistol was handed over with an empty mag a few days later.

User

Do the SAPS have more than 1 facility to do ballistics? With all the thousands of FA being handed in under the FA amnesty, the turn around time can get very very long.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast