Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Safety glasses over glasses

Hi all
    Yet another post from me.

To those who wear glasses, what do you wear at the range?
    I was at a range previously where I was told I dont need to wear safety glasses because I wear prescription glasses, this doesnt seem right though as my prescription glasses dont cover the entire eye.

What safety glasses do you recommend?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Safety glasses over glasses

I use Smith's with prescription inserts..

I dont believe prescription glasses have safety ratings on

User

I use a pair of Wiley X Saber Advanced which allows you to change the lense colour as well as insert prescription lenses! It also meets the more stringent MIL-PRF-32432(GL) ballistic standards versus the basic ANSI Z87.1-2010 high velocity and high mass impact standards. Bellmt.co.za sell them as well as Takealot!

A solid piece of advice is to purchase the best ear and eye pro that you can afford, it is one of the things you don't want to skimp on!! The below article gives a good overview of proper impact rated glasses!

https://paratus.info/2017/11/28/eye-protection/

User

What about glasses with a safety rating but then use a RX insert with prescription inserts in?

User

I have the lenses on my prescription glasses chemically tempered. I have never asked what the impact resistance is, but I'll do so next time I go for new glasses. I sometimes use Elvex safety glasses over my prescription glasses when I shoot on a line and have competitors both sides of me shooting at the same time (i.e. in pin shooting) https://cerberustac.co.za/shooting-g...ns_color-clear

User

I bought eevex? Safety From tacqm that can take Rx inserts. Very nice, not very expensive.

Yes you can get actual prescription safety glasses from the optometrist, be prepared to pay out your backdoor. If I recall, they are prescribed often for people working in industrial and laboratory applications. There are also operator style for military and police, but also up there in price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    I have the lenses on my prescription glasses chemically tempered. I have never asked what the impact resistance is, but I'll do so next time I go for new glasses. I sometimes use Elvex safety glasses over my prescription glasses when I shoot on a line and have competitors both sides of me shooting at the same time (i.e. in pin shooting) https://cerberustac.co.za/shooting-g...ns_color-clear
    This is what I'm interested in. What size are your prescription glasses? Can you maybe show how they fit inside the safety Eyewear?

User

This is what mine looks like. The prescription part looks like a figure 8 that clips onto the glasses nose bridge. If the glasses gets scratched you unclip the insert and clip it into the next set. The last quote I got was about R80 for the insert and R170 for cobalt color glasses, but then you have to add the prescription part from you optometrist. When you go to them take the RX part along and tell them to fit the lenses in the carrier. If I remember it wasn't so expensive because they only supply the lenses.

User

I was checking online and I can only find the Wiley X Saber Advanced at more than R2500.

@Vaal, what brand safety glasses is that?

As a worst case, I've been looking at the Wurth safety glasses, and even the ear protection for that matter as Wurth quality has always been decent and the price on the ear protection is actually quite good.

Wurth glasses -
    https://www.wurth.co.za/safety-and-ppe/protective-eyewear/ergo-safety-glasses-top
    Wurth Ear Protection - https://www.wurth.co.za/safety-and-p...-red-cup-snr32

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast