Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: sierra bullet price rant

Are there any locally made bullets that can compete with or are the equivalent with for example a Sierra Tipped Game King?

Sierra TGK .30 165Gr G1BC.530
    Rhino:
    Frontier:
    Peregrine:
    Claw:
    Quest:

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Support local, buy locally made bullets

Gladly. When is Somchem producing?

PMP. LOL

Luckily I cast my own 9mmP, 44m and 12g shot.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Juriew View Post
    Are there any locally made bullets that can compete with or are the equivalent with for example a Sierra Tipped Game King?

Sierra TGK .30 165Gr G1BC.530
    Rhino:
    Frontier:
    Peregrine:
    Claw:
    Quest:
    I believe one of the only tipped hunting bullets we make is the Frontier Ultimate Hunter. It's still a mono though. 165gr, and I have no idea what the BC of the bullet is.

User

I agree with above sentiments that locally made bullets are overpriced.

I think however, that it is the Economy of Scale that is greatly to blame for this.

Also, in sunny South Africa we are always drawing the short stick and things are always going “wrong” and we end up paying more. Take Somchem powder as an example, the plant burns down and suddenly we have to make it work with imported powder at 3x the rate we were already complaining about.

As an example, the gunshops then start liking the 20% (or whatever their margins are) on a tin of R1000 powder, netting them R200. And it is a matter of take it or leave it for us shooters, really leaving us without a choice. When the pipe dream of Somchem production is realised again, it would be counter productive for them to now again sell Somchem at R300 a tin with the same 20% odd margin, netting them only R60. I suspect, when we see Somchem again, it will be well overpriced.

We are in a cycle of declining returns and a shrinking participation base if you look how poorly the economy is doing. For the gunshop to stay open, they are going to have to sell less goods at a higher price to make the same amount of money as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I believe one of the only tipped hunting bullets we make is the Frontier Ultimate Hunter. It's still a mono though. 165gr, and I have no idea what the BC of the bullet is.

Don't feel bad about that, I called Frontier and they also don't know what their product's BC is. They promised to get back to me soonest.

so i popped into a local gun store and chatted to them. They recommended i move to hornady interlock 130 grain as they recon it's a better bullet than the sierra but i can use the same load. And it's R800 for a 100 versus R1100 for a 100 for the sierra. Will give them a try

Then i picked up a few boxes of 22 ammo. They said the prices haven't gone up and they're not expecting them to but they also can't promise it won't

Then they siad there's a rumour in the industry that S361 and S365 powder will be available again from end of Feb. But only a rumour so we'll see

S335 April to June 2021
    S365 July to Sept 2021
    All other April to June 2022

User

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    S335 April to June 2021
    S365 July to Sept 2021
    All other April to June 2022
    So mid next year we could possibly see S121 and MS200 again?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Juriew View Post
    Don't feel bad about that, I called Frontier and they also don't know what their product's BC is. They promised to get back to me soonest.
    I'm currently aiming to get my hands on some Peregrine Gliders. I have no idea how well they work, but I want to test them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast