Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Slide failing to stay open after last round

No man, chill, swizzle that cement in the coffee and keep on enjoying the forum...

The fact is many of us had exactly the same problem at some point: My brand new fancy fullsize version of my compact carry gun did the same thing. Shooting buddy told me my thumb may be touching the slide release. Unpossible I said, it doesn't happen with my compact, I've got medium grips on both, why would it happen with the fullsize. And I haven't got large hands anyway. Gun must be broken. Cut a long story short, he stood next to me, and stopped me from lowering gun/changing grip after emptying a mag. Right thumb literally just touching the slide release, preventing the slide from locking open. From that day I run the large grip, even though I dont have large hands, no problems. Compact has medium grip, no problems...

Sometimes we just can't type essays

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Why is there need for the "I told you so"? Never said it wasn't me. Did not know what it was so I asked the question and got the advice (for which I am very thankful) that it could be/is probably my thumb. So I said I would test it. And then I reported on it. Why the necessity to have to be rude?

Edit. Being able to ask the question and get the quick advice is what makes this forum awesome. I am here to learn. But being rude about it kinda puts me off asking anything else... But alas, I will take more than two scoops of cement in my coffee from now on...
    Dude, I'm new here, but you need to chill. It's just a little around-the-braai-with-a-beer banter. Don't you give your friends an elbow in the rib if they do something silly. It's not meant in negative manner, just having a little fun at your expense is all. Everyone makes mistakes. Laugh it off.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Why the necessity to have to be rude?
    Perhaps we should now be the ones asking above?
    Try cannabis oil it is said to have a calming affect

User

Sometimes after thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds it may also be the gun itself, like what happened to my Glock 22... But usually it's just me and my thumb in a wrong place again...

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Sometimes after thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds it may also be the gun itself, like what happened to my Glock 22... But usually it's just me and my thumb in a wrong place again...
    Not possible. EVERYONE (on the internet) knows .40 Glocks suck and cannot possibly survive thousands and thousands of rounds without spectacularly blowing up.

User

Damn... there goes the remains of my credibility again!

User

Weirdly, I used to have the opposite on my G17 - I had the extended slide release, and occasionally managed to lock the slide open with rounds still in the mag. It usually happened during competitions (typical of a too hasty grip) and what happens when the slide locks back? Quick reload! Leaving a loaded mag behind... Going back to the stock slide stop solved the problem, because of course the problem wasn't with me or my grip, which is always 100% perfect But seriously, I did change back to the stock slide release. I figured if I was ballsing it up more than twice in competition, I might balls it up when in other stressful situations. I tried working on my grip too, but....me being human and all..

With my G19 I was holding the stock slide release down and not getting the slide locking back - switched to the medium backstrap to move my support hand thumb back a few mm, enough to reduce the problem (because of course, once again, my grip is perfect ). A slight grip change fixes it obviously, but I just have to train that consciously (getting older, kind of set in my ways, stuff takes time to get right again). The G17 and G19 grips are just different enough that it happens more on the G19 so far.

Some older guns had internal slide locks as in no external lever. Likewise heel mag release or the HK lever. My series 80 Colt has a very stiff mag release. Inadvertently half releasing a mag or activating slide lock have led me to the conclusion that there is a reason for these other ideas. Yet recently I read about slide lock spring or mag release springs being too stiff. Tells me they have not carried or been around guns for long enough to know better.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4