Default Interesting Reading.

I am not sure if this has been posted before, if so I apologise.

This is interesting reading with some good practical examples. I do not agree with everything said but there is some good information in here.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...e+Killing.html

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

User

Default Re: Interesting Reading.

Maybe touch on your disagreement points so that we my discuss it, though I suspect it's mainly bullet choice and the shock theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Maybe touch on your disagreement points so that we my discuss it, though I suspect it's mainly bullet choice and the shock theory.
    Mainly the shock theory. Bullet choice as well, but my bullet choice is different from that of most other hunters because I expect bullets to do things that most hunters don't worry about. He is also really serious about dropping animals in their tracks while I do not have a problem with an animal running a short distance. But I understand his point of view, because a lot of his hunting seem to be in very mountainous terrain where an animal that runs even a few meters might be unrecoverable.

User

Jip, thought that was your gripe, as you know I myself believe in the high velocity cup and core in the lung area just because I’ve seen it so much.
    The SST he mentioned also, you know I like it.
    You and the Amax, etc.

I just don’t advocate it anymore because most hunters just can’t shoot.
    Most average hunters are better off just shooting the animal dead center in the chest with a barnes than trying a knockout shot with a softer better placed bullet.

That still brings us to his data, I believe it’s valid just not suitable for most, won’t you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    That still brings us to his data, I believe it’s valid just not suitable for most, won’t you agree?
    I believe his data is based on real life hunting experience not google. I would agree that it is valid, although it requires a fair amount of skill and knowledge to implement it effectively, as you said.

User

He's a great writer, very knowledgeable, and I think being a Kiwi, he has had the opportunity to shoot more animals than most hunters on this planet. I'm not 100% convinced of his early bow and arrow theories. Me thinks the first archers were the San that used poisoned arrows with removable tips and good tracking skills to subdue the game, rather than terminal damage.

User

Have read all his books. His focus is mostly on long range hunting with resultant low impact velocities and a necessary emphasis on frangible bullets. Very good, practical advice and enjoyable, no BS reading.

User

I enjoy his writing too.

In this particular article though, he attributes the "use enough gun" saying to O'Rourke!

But we know who he meant.

User