Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Default Re: 6.8 Western cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    You seem to have left out that velocity x mass = momentum. Also, penetration is very dependent on frontal area. That is why a lighter (up to a point) monolithic bullet with limited expansion can out-penetrate heavier traditional hunting bullets at similar impact velocities. Lemons to oranges comparison.

To follow on what you mentioned about velocity impacting deformation, you quite rightly stated that it depends on energy. A small increase in velocity has an exponential increase in energy. That then gives a disproportionate increase in expansion and increasing the frontal area. Once again, it gives rise that a slower (lower energy) bullet can out-penetrate a faster bullet of the same weight in certain velocity ranges. Apples to apples comparison.
    Thanx for the post. Read earlier post where momentum and kinetic energy relations was given. I do agree with your take on this from physics perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    If the 7 mm Rem Mag is a proven caliber how would a 6.8 measure against it ? Or
    why would they develop a round so close to the 7 mm ?
    I own a 7 mm Rem Mag which is a beast of a gun but very rarely do I see the caliber
    mentioned here.
    7mm Rem Mag optimum twist I believe is 1:9 so in between the 3006 (1:10) and the 1:8 or even 1:7.5 for the 6.8 Western. 7MM Rem mag will in theory stabilize a longer bullet than the 3006 or 308.I the shorter, stout 6.5 and 6.8 cases supports optimized combustion and recoil on the 7mm is close to my 300 Win Mag and it's a long action...so for new hunters not something I think will endear me to them.

I may still opt for 6.5 Creedmoor ....... freely available and more data in SA than the 6.8 Western. I think we have now reached the stage where no new caliber will not have a significant overlap with existing cartridge's ...... although top end power for LR precision is still very dynamic. If I had a 270, I would not consider the 6.8 ...if I had a 6.5 Swedish, I would not consider replacing with a 6.5 Creedmoor .... based on performance alone. But I am looking at buying a new rifle .... so blank paper.

User

Oh I am so hoping this cartridge takes on in South Africa. I was looking at the 6.5 PRC when I came across this cartridge. Especially for hunting!
    https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/b...2021#gs.sos9zp
    https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/gu...nd-winchester/

Quote Originally Posted by African View Post
    7mm Rem Mag optimum twist I believe is 1:9 so in between the 3006 (1:10) and the 1:8 or even 1:7.5 for the 6.8 Western. 7MM Rem mag will in theory stabilize a longer bullet than the 3006 or 308.I the shorter, stout 6.5 and 6.8 cases supports optimized combustion and recoil on the 7mm is close to my 300 Win Mag and it's a long action...so for new hunters not something I think will endear me to them.

I may still opt for 6.5 Creedmoor ....... freely available and more data in SA than the 6.8 Western. I think we have now reached the stage where no new caliber will not have a significant overlap with existing cartridge's ...... although top end power for LR precision is still very dynamic. If I had a 270, I would not consider the 6.8 ...if I had a 6.5 Swedish, I would not consider replacing with a 6.5 Creedmoor .... based on performance alone. But I am looking at buying a new rifle .... so blank paper.
    Thank you

User

Twist rates aren't linked to specific cartridges. Commercial manufactures select their barrel twists on what the most common weight bullets people are likely to shoot from certain cartridges. Take 308 for example, you get 1 in 10 (Howa and I think Remington) and 1 in 12 in off the shelf offerings. If you look at custom offerings, some FTR rifle have 1 in 9 barrel to shoot the 200-225gr bullets, and older Bisley barrel were 1 in 13 specifically for 155gr bullets.

Similarly most off the shelf 22-250's are 1 in 14 or 1 in 12, aimed at 55gr varmint bullets. A lot of "veldskiet" guys rebarrel to 1 in 8 to shoot 80gr bullets for their improved bc.

This is where a lot of comparisons between older and newer calibers fall flat, as these comparisons are apples to oranges. ( slow twist barrels with lower bc bullets vs fast twist barrels and higher bc bullets). If you take a 7mmRemMag, 1 in 8 barrel with a 180gr bullet, it will most likely outperform the 6.8, but compared to "traditional" 1 in 9 with a 160gr, 6.8 will be better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    I have been scratching on an American forum and the array of calibres used for hunting is just astounding. I did not even know of a 300 Lapua Mag as I have never been asked to do some QL calcs with it. There are so many 6,5's mentioned (the Creed is in the minority) and I am not even sure what they are. Speed is being seriously chased and I wonder how many are not shot at proofing pressures.

If a barrel does not shoot 0,5 MOA then the owner just casually mentions that it will be replaced. I believe that it costs about $450 to do that, excluding barrel price. Just imagine paying R1000 for barrel replacement.

I think you mean R10000 and not R1000

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    I think you mean R10000 and not R1000
    I was comparing USA and RSA. My wish was for the same sort of scale of fees locally in relation to what they are paying. Not looking at exchange rates and actual cost here. Pipe dream !!!!!

Saw a lot of positive feedback from the USA about this new 6.8 Western cartridge ...anybody know if any made it to SA yet ........ Looks like my 6.5 Creedmoor dream fits the 6.8 Western much better
    Back on topic, almost a year later. Has anyone located a 6.8 western rifle anywhere in South Africa? I'm seriously intrigued and will probably buy one when I can find one.

User

Lots of videos on YouTube relating to this cartridge. Ron Spomer posted this video a year ago comparing the 6.8W with the 6.5 PRC and .270W:

User

Quote Originally Posted by jager View Post
    Back on topic, almost a year later. Has anyone located a 6.8 western rifle anywhere in South Africa? I'm seriously intrigued and will probably buy one when I can find one.
    Doubt you'll find one soon, the agents for winchester rifles both suck

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5