Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Buying a Glock 19 Gen 3 - Questions :)

Hi everybody

I am planning to buy a new Glock 19 Gen 3 for R9200.. Because of the after sales support including availability of parts..
    https://www.chsguns.co.za/online-sto...9-gen-3-detail

The fact that it is a Gen 3 - will this make it more difficult to find parts / accessories in the future?

Would I be better off with a newer Gen like Gen 4 or Gen 5?

Besides the gun being (subjectively) ugly, there's one thing that deeply bothers me - the plastic frame..

How long can these plastic frames last?
    What if it cracks? What if it melts? what if it becomes loose or wobly from wear and tear?
    Won't the plastic frame start to disintegrate after a few decades?
    Isn't it much much weaker than metal?
    I would like to keep this gun for as long as possible.

Thank you in advance

User

Default Re: Buying a Glock 19 Gen 3 - Questions :)

Hi Carter Brink. My personal favourite is the the Glock 19 Gen 3; perfect fit for my hand size.

Parts/spares are readily available from Jizni and almost all gunshops but build up a stock of spares for the future. They are very durable. Sights are functional but there are better aftermarket sights available. I have a few Gen 3s and 4s while my SO has a Gen 5.

They are accurate and mine shoots POA = POI with 124gr ammo. Hope this gives you some insight.

User

My 17's frame was still going strong after over 20 years.
    Never broke any parts on the Glocks I've had.
    Wore out the barrel on my Gen 1 Glock17. The frame was still perfect.
    Berhard Agencies arranged to replace it with a gen3 RTF2 Glock17.
    The replacement pistol is perfect and is problem free.
    If you are happy with the GEN 3 19 I recommend you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post
    Hi everybody

I am planning to buy a new Glock 19 Gen 3 for R9200.. Because of the after sales support including availability of parts..
    https://www.chsguns.co.za/online-sto...9-gen-3-detail

The fact that it is a Gen 3 - will this make it more difficult to find parts / accessories in the future?

Would I be better off with a newer Gen like Gen 4 or Gen 5?

Besides the gun being (subjectively) ugly, there's one thing that deeply bothers me - the plastic frame..

What if it cracks? What if it melts? what if it becomes loose or wobly from wear and tear?

Thank you in advance
    Do you have overly small or big hands, because with the Gen 3s they don't have the adjustable backstraps.

Places like www.theglockshop.co.za usually have spares and I don't think that will change.

Can you afford to pay the extra R3000 for a Gen 5 if you can I would get one, but that's just me. The Gen 3 triggers are said to be better than the Gen 4s.

There are "plastic" frames that have lasted 100,000 rounds. Chances are that the frame will last as long as you need it to. Other parts will wear out before it does. There's a chance it could break if you have a squib load (bullet stuck in barrel) and then fire another round but that would potentially break a steel barrel as well.

If you can try and test out the gun, even consider a CZ as they are close in price brand new.

Good luck.

User

Thanks Jigga, that's good to hear. I will definitely buy parts ahead of time

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Brink View Post

Thank you in advance
    Can't tell if serious, but in the even that you are:

There are millions of gen 3's around and they are still in production. Parts will be available for decades to come. Parts are, in most instances interchangeable with Gen4's and Gen5's. If that really concerns you buy a Gen5.

The frames will last as long as the gun. The slide is more likely to crack than the frame.

Do you realise that the slide runs on metal inserts?

The slide will melt if you leave it in an oven, if you get it hot enough to melt, its hot enough to damage or destroy the heat treat on the metal parts.

It won't get "wobbly". I have shot out a 17. The bore was smooth and oversized. The slide to frame fit was just fine.

The frame might disintegrate after a few decades. Probably around 20 of them. By which time you won't care.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Wore out the barrel on my Gen 1 Glock17. The frame was still perfect.
    That sounds reliable enough Malcolm! Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    There are "plastic" frames that have lasted 100,000 rounds. Chances are that the frame will last as long as you need it to. Other parts will wear out before it does. There's a chance it could break if you have a squib load (bullet stuck in barrel) and then fire another round but that would potentially break a steel barrel as well.
    That will bulge any pistol barrel.

The frame can get damaged if the barrel lets go which will be true of any other brand too. If that happens, the gun is destroyed, so the damage to the frame is irrelevant.

I have seen a G26 fire multiple deliberate over pressure rounds. Some double charged compressed loads.

That gun still works.

The CZPO7 is in pieces.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    There are millions of gen 3's around and they are still in production. Parts will be available for decades to come. Parts are, in most instances interchangeable with Gen4's and Gen5's. If that really concerns you buy a Gen5.
    That's all the reassurance I needed.. I think my mind is now made up

User

Just out of curiosity - How many firearms can one license under Section 16? I already have one Section 15 and another Section 16.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast