Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Provincial DFO requiring dealer stock firearms to be handed in

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    That is sad stuff and it has been bothering me of late. What is SA's collecting associations' involvement or non-involvement in in a situation where such a firearm is handed in?
    All firearms handed in to SAPS are supposed to be inspected for "heritage value" before they are sent for destruction. The SA Heritage Resources Agency is responsible for this and they generally appoint external subject matter experts who would typically come from the Collector Associations.

Periodically these guys go and inspect a batch of firearms that are up for destruction and pull out all those that match the description of "heritage item". Each firearm pulled out of the scrapheap has to be individually motivated. Unfortunately that definition is quite narrow and the example quoted of a pair of Purdeys might not fall into it unless it can be linked to South African heritage eg owned by a prominent South African. I can assure you that if something like that were to be encountered, a great deal of effort would be made to find a link to SA heritage.

Being identified is a "SA heritage item" is the only way to prevent a firearm from being destroyed but it doesn't entirely save them because firearms that are approved as heritage items are then put into storage until such time as a way can be created to get them back out of the system. Currently no path to do so exists but it is being worked on. It isn't just a question of coming up with the paperwork to do it, there are also questions like: Who can take possession of them? (museums don't want firearms) and how would you select an individual to take ownership? Does somebody get paid for them? How do you establish a fair value? The owner (or heir) has handed the firearm in with an instruction to destroy it but by not destroying it one would be going against their instructions.......... It gets a bit messy

User

As per shooty's post "don't worry" only old unwanted and not correctly stored guns, I strongly disagree. Personal experience, firearm legally bought from dealer, transferred to local dealer for storage in process of application of firearm for business purposes, now firearm suddenly not on SAPS system and illegal, must be handed in... trust me, if you have a gun under storage at a Gunshop follow up and find out if it has been handed in to the police for destruction. Not saying it is happening everywhere, but I know pf at least 4 guns shops where this has occurred in the last couple of days.

User

Default Provincial DFO requiring dealer stock firearms to be handed in

Well it would appear that firearms in safe custody could have been transferred to dealer register under the amnesty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

@BBCT that was enlightening

Thank you very much for the post

User

I'll second that, @Davidc comment is also interesting!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn881 View Post
    I'll second that, @Davidc comment is also interesting!
    Glad to be of service! ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2