Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default At least 21 people found dead in South African nightclub

https://news.sky.com/story/at-least-...tclub-12640551

This is horrific. As far as I can discern from the news there doesn't appear to be a cause of death yet (other than an apparent stampede). Most of the deceased were only kids, the youngest only 13.

What is even more disturbing is that these kids partied in a tavern with only one exit (which I am pretty sure is illegal in terms of fire safety bylaws).

I think the lack of safety of most shebeens and taverns in the townships is a problem that has been overlooked for too long.

Banned

Default Re: At least 21 people found dead in South African nightclub

A lot of flak has been directed at the tavern and its owner. They surely did not do their part in not serving booze to under age children.

My wife raised the issue. All the parents are clamouring for the tavern owner's blood, but surely they have not accepted there responsibility of ensuring that the kids are safe in bed at their age and that time?

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    A lot of flak has been directed at the tavern and its owner. They surely did not do their part in not serving booze to under age children.

My wife raised the issue. All the parents are clamouring for the tavern owner's blood, but surely they have not accepted there responsibility of ensuring that the kids are safe in bed at their age and that time?
    ^ This. For a tavern owner to be able to make his money off kids, first he needs parents who allow it to happen. It helps of course that SAPS do nothing to prevent children openly frequenting drinking establishments. Much closer to home in trendy Parkhurst it's standard to see soccer moms in SUVs dropping their way underage kids off at boozers. If, as is inevitable, some awful thing happens there I'm sure the same focused blame apportionment will occur.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    ^ This. For a tavern owner to be able to make his money off kids, first he needs parents who allow it to happen. It helps of course that SAPS do nothing to prevent children openly frequenting drinking establishments. Much closer to home in trendy Parkhurst it's standard to see soccer moms in SUVs dropping their way underage kids off at boozers. If, as is inevitable, some awful thing happens there I'm sure the same focused blame apportionment will occur.
    A lot of people need to go to prison over this. The tavern owner is but one of them.

User

We were all young once, and I bet you we all went to a pub or a slack night club more than once, but in my case my parents were strict on what time they would be picking my half drunk ass up and If I disobeyed, they simply wouldnt drop me off anywhere for a while, though I was not allowed or able to go to a over crowded tavern with 1000s of people, that was a no, not until I was 18…. But a local jol, a few beers, a good time in a relatively safe environment, no issues (it was the early 2000s, the planet was more safe back then)

Now that im older I prefer making a huge fire and braaing Tomahawks, at my house were my kids are safe and in bed, amazing how fast we grow up and then how fast we grow old…

Then there is 21 kids in the Eastern Cape who wont be growing up or old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done a few bail applications in the Alex Court. If you appear on Mondays at least 75% of the court roll is drunk in public and assault GBH. The distinct majority of those are minors.The youngest that I can recall was 11. The mother was asked if he should be released to her. She said that she didn't care.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by Johann du Toit View Post
    A lot of people need to go to prison over this. The tavern owner is but one of them.
    There are still private house parties in the JHB involving rich kids. Alcohol flows freely

The club has to take responsibility, not checking ID's and serving alcohol to minors. I can show you up market clubs in Boksburg that do the same. SAPS have to take responsibility for not checking on these taverns. , the children involved have to take responsibility for lying to parents. Parents need to take responsibility for not taking care of their kids.

There were a group of kids at the tavern that had travelled from Bloemfontein university. Parents think they are at res and studying.

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    There are still private house parties in the JHB involving rich kids. Alcohol flows freely

The club has to take responsibility, not checking ID's and serving alcohol to minors. I can show you up market clubs in Boksburg that do the same. SAPS have to take responsibility for not checking on these taverns. , the children involved have to take responsibility for lying to parents. Parents need to take responsibility for not taking care of their kids.

There were a group of kids at the tavern that had travelled from Bloemfontein university. Parents think they are at res and studying.
    Anyone know cause of death yet?

BTW. "University" kids are usually over 18,most definitely not between 11 and 14.

That article was painful to read. Terrible writing.

User

So what is cause of death? Crushed in stampede or home brewed alcohol?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast