Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Scope for mainly hunting and a bit of target shooting

I will do, I have recently purchased an Athlon Midas Tac- the entry level non-horus style reticle in Mil-rad, with a 30mm tube, I will let you know how it holds up in the long run. The quality of the turret clicks are important to me in this application it is installed on my airgun, as you can imagine dialing for elevation and return to zero are important when dealing with 25 grain projectiles traveling at sub sonic speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

All my hunting rifles see many days on the dashboard of a bakkie in the veld, and just as many in the mountains, I barely touch the turrets, ever, it always shoots on the same place.

So I find modern expectations amusing, so many things people expect from a hunting scope, where I just want reliability.
    I agree with this. Less is often more with general purpose (not long range hunting) hunting scopes. Rather buy the best 2.5-8x or 3-9x scope that you can afford instead of spending the same amount on a cheaper make with higher magnification, target turrets, illumination and complicated reticles.

A lot of the cheaper brands build their business on very good guarantees on, often unreliable scopes, often replacing the malfunctioning scope with a brand new one. While guarantees are certainly important, no guarantee is going to help you find a wounded animal or make good the money spent on a ruined hunting trip.

A good 3-9 will give the average hunter a lifetime of reliable service and is completely adequate for hunting out to 300m, provided the rifle is accurate enough and the hunter is capable of 300m shots. No fancy features help when a scope strays from zero or fogs up when out hunting.

User

I am a Leupold scpoe man through and through .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    Most Americans have said the same thing for a very long time, but innovation and technology have brought some new players into the picture. Locally Lynx are also represented in many homes. Good service and middle of the road scopes have worked for general hunting.

It is however interesting to look at the new makes and there just might be something that best fits your application.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
    Each of my 4 working rifles wear a Leupold scope and I have a couple of spare Leupold's in case one of mine breaks, the spare scopes often get mounted on clients rifles when their scopes don't work as they should. The cheaper Leupold's might not have the best glass and some of them don't dial perfectly but once they are sighted in they stay that way and they can take the kind of abuse that a daily-use rifle suffer.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    Each of my 4 working rifles wear a Leupold scope and I have a couple of spare Leupold's in case one of mine breaks, the spare scopes often get mounted on clients rifles when their scopes don't work as they should. The cheaper Leupold's might not have the best glass and some of them don't dial perfectly but once they are sighted in they stay that way and they can take the kind of abuse that a daily-use rifle suffer.
    In agreement , they also offer a great warranty .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3