Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adoons View Post
    The concept of a "foreigner" always have me thinking. We don't have the history from before "the first occupants of the land." I am s South African so have a better understanding of my own country, but I believe in for instance the USA it might be the same. Who knows for sure that for instance before the Indian tribes where overtaken by a new type of community (colonizers they will be called in RSA), that the Indian tribes did not push out and kill them all from another group of people that lived there? When reading up on the Mfecane for instance, it is clear that tribes or peoples now complaining about being oppressed in recent history was once the oppressors in a further into history time. Modern views and history are just too short to know what went on years back. I am a firm Christian and Bible student and in the Bible it is also clear that tribes took over from each other and that the one now being conquered was the conqueror in an earlier stage. It is just how life is happening on earth and will keep on happening until the end of time. End of time being the end of your life on earth or the end of the earth.
    This reminds me of this, which sums up your post pretty well: https://youtu.be/-evIyrrjTTY

User

Default Re: What Native Americans Call Other Nationalities

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    I never expected the direction this thread took..

NB 6:53
    Hoped more of the above

Shew that looked good!

User

That food history was a bit of a shocker. Imagine your mum not wanting to make vetkoek because 200 years back the English gave them flour in the concentration camps and they still hated vetkoek. A kid will mos never understand it.

User

Britain did alot to the scots and the Irish too

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    Britain did alot to the scots and the Irish too
    "England"

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The Internet ALWAYS delivers!

and here I was expecting more of the likes of...

George Gist (c.1770–1843), was a Native American polymath of the Cherokee Nation. In 1821 he completed his independent creation of a Cherokee syllabary, making reading and writing in Cherokee possible. His achievement was one of the few times in recorded history that a member of a pre-literate people created an original, effective writing system.
    After seeing its worth, the people of the Cherokee Nation rapidly began to use his syllabary and officially adopted it in 1825. Within five years, their literacy rate surpassed that of surrounding European-American settlers.
    The Cherokee syllabary has had international influence. As diffusion spread, it is believed to have inspired the development of 21 known scripts or writing systems, used in a total of 65 languages, including in North America, Africa, and Asia.

His work has had international influence, encouraging the development of syllabaries for other, previously unwritten languages. The news that an illiterate Cherokee had created a syllabary spread throughout the USA and its territories. A missionary working in northern Alaska read about it and created a syllabary, what has become known as Cree syllabics. This syllabic writing inspired other indigenous groups across Canada to adapt the syllabics to create writing for their languages.
    A literate Cherokee emigrated to Liberia, where he discussed his people's syllabary. A Bassa language speaker of Liberia was inspired to create his own syllabary, and other indigenous groups in West Africa followed suit, creating their own syllabaries.
    A missionary in China read about the Cree syllabary and was inspired to follow that example in writing a local language in China. The result of the diffusion of his work has been the development of a total of 21 known scripts, which have been used to write more than 65 languages.

This was the Cherokee Sequoyah!
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

What I find interesting is the way the Navajo named people according to characteristics. They did not adopt a given name, but stayed with their own tradition of using a characteristic as a name.

User

and here I was expecting more of the likes of...

George Gist (c.1770–1843), was a Native American polymath of the Cherokee Nation. In 1821 he completed his independent creation of a Cherokee syllabary, making reading and writing in Cherokee possible. His achievement was one of the few times in recorded history that a member of a pre-literate people created an original, effective writing system.
    After seeing its worth, the people of the Cherokee Nation rapidly began to use his syllabary and officially adopted it in 1825. Within five years, their literacy rate surpassed that of surrounding European-American settlers.
    The Cherokee syllabary has had international influence. As diffusion spread, it is believed to have inspired the development of 21 known scripts or writing systems, used in a total of 65 languages, including in North America, Africa, and Asia.
    Wow, that is an amazing accomplishment.

I never expected the direction this thread took.. NB 6:53Hoped more of the above
    Hey admin or anyone else I’ve asked this before but I’m not seeing videos that are posted come up. It’s showing as just a blank post, except where the poster has typed things in. Any assistance will be appreciated as I can’t find it on the internetThanks

User

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    Wow, that is an amazing accomplishment.
    Yes indeed. Comparable to Mikael Agricola in the 16th century who (quote from Wikipedia) was a Finnish Lutheran clergyman who became the de facto founder of literary Finnish and a prominent proponent of the Protestant Reformation in Sweden, including Finland, which was a Swedish territory at the time. He is often called the "father of literary Finnish".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast