Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Who were the most peaceful conquerors in history?

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    There is a word I am looking for, it means the two words can not be used at same time.
    Conquerors and peaceful, can not be in same sentence.

In my books all
    conquerors were terrible people forcing there will, opinion or desire on others. Personal lives and wish's were of no consequence, only one mans goal, aim or ambition.
    Terrible people all and everyone of them.
    Oxymoron

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Surely the Western Allies can't be considered as conquerors during WWII, they were defending AGAINST conquerors Germany and Japan.
    Well.. putting aside the VERY important fact that the Soviet Union were probably the single most important equation in winning the Second World War - I can't see how you can say Germany and Japan were conquerors at all? In fact, Germany as a state has never won a war since it came into existence.

Yes, both Japan and Germany had some stunning successes in the first two years of WW2, but were almost certainly doomed to lose the war, not having the resources to fight a prolonged global engagement, and so couldn't say they were the conquerors?

Once the dust settled, the Western Allies (and most definitely the Soviet Union) were the conquerors.. unless we are debating the definition of conqueror?

Maybe it's just that - the definition i was using for conquer would be to "overcome by force of arms", vs maybe the definition you are thinking of being "to gain by force".

Quote Originally Posted by b20 View Post
    Well.. putting aside the VERY important fact that the Soviet Union were probably the single most important equation in winning the Second World War - I can't see how you can say Germany and Japan were conquerors at all? In fact, Germany as a state has never won a war since it came into existence.

Yes, both Japan and Germany had some stunning successes in the first two years of WW2, but were almost certainly doomed to lose the war, not having the resources to fight a prolonged global engagement, and so couldn't say they were the conquerors?

Once the dust settled, the Western Allies (and most definitely the Soviet Union) were the conquerors.. unless we are debating the definition of conqueror?

Maybe it's just that - the definition i was using for conquer would be to "overcome by force of arms", vs maybe the definition you are thinking of being "to gain by force".
    The initiator (if successful) is usually seen as the conqueror, not the victim of the attack. Rather use the term victors in terms of USA/modern UK/Russia.

Well some say if Hitler had played his cards right and not gotten a big head and didn't go after Russia he might well have taken over Europe, and who knows what he might have achieved after that.

User

Well, the chinese are conquering Africa, velly peacefully.

Banned

[QUOTE=A-R;1401811]Well, the chinese are conquering Africa, velly peacefully.[/QUOTE
    MMMnnn? very good A-R, very good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Well, the chinese are conquering Africa, velly peacefully.
    Yup. Bribes go a long way

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Part of the reason the Transvaal Republic got eaten up was that the officials were as corrupt as what we have today in RSA. Nothing changes.
    Last edited by KK20; 05-02-2021 at 07:38.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

A conqueror, be it a person or a country, it’s merely an entity that overthrows another country by force, not so?
    A suspect few historical conquerors can be described accurately since back then they just killed everybody that disagreed with them, word of mouth is all that was left.

But what about more modern campaigns, when America overthrew Iraq for example, for sure there were civilian casualties but they could not just kill everybody. Would a modern campaign like this not be way more peaceful than any from the olden days?

User

It could be but then again people are such professional lairs these days it would be hard to know everything. I think the main reason Assange (Wikileaks) is being prosecuted is because he leaked a helicopter attack on journalists.

Maybe my question is not as good as I thought because a conqueror can only be as meek as the people he is conquering. Great adversaries will have stories of vicious conquerors.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    A conqueror, be it a person or a country, it’s merely an entity that overthrows another country by force, not so?
    A suspect few historical conquerors can be described accurately since back then they just killed everybody that disagreed with them, word of mouth is all that was left.

But what about more modern campaigns, when America overthrew Iraq for example, for sure there were civilian casualties but they could not just kill everybody. Would a modern campaign like this not be way more peaceful than any from the olden days?
    I would agree with this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2