Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Only SD gun handed in, what now???

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    It might sound silly but a spearhead on a 5ft shaft is very intimidating if you're on the receiving end. The stabbing motion is useful indoors in passageways, much easier to use than a weapon you have to swing.

Rather just a knife and at least 1 hour training on knife use. A 5 foot item inside a house maybe a passage way or narrow area is useless to move around. Also the length makes it easy to grab and disarm as it swings and moves slow. A knife is very difficult to defend against in close up. As you only have two arms and 1 leg to use to cover. As other leg you need to stand on. And the openings are plenty. You really need to be trained to know how to defend against a knife up close.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    It might sound silly but a spearhead on a 5ft shaft is very intimidating if you're on the receiving end. The stabbing motion is useful indoors in passageways, much easier to use than a weapon you have to swing.
    I made several of those when I didn't have a firearm, they are great weapons and let you keep your distance from your attacker. Some with long shafts and some with short. Just a bit of welding is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Rather just a knife and at least 1 hour training on knife use. A 5 foot item inside a house maybe a passage way or narrow area is useless to move around. Also the length makes it easy to grab and disarm as it swings and moves slow. A knife is very difficult to defend against in close up. As you only have two arms and 1 leg to use to cover. As other leg you need to stand on. And the openings are plenty. You really need to be trained to know how to defend against a knife up close.
    Keeping your distance from your attacker is definitely +1 for a spear. Learn how to wield it and you have that advantage of staying out of reach.

User

My backup plan for when my CZ75 is no more, would be my P10c, or BHP, or even my Norinco Type 54....
    Before whipping out the Type 56.

Fortunately I am in the position to have other options available to me.

Getting back to the OP, a good balanced blade, pepper spray and some Krav Maga training?
    Alternatively a CO powered airsoft pistol MIGHT scare off an attacker.

Japanese Bokken used in martial arts. Mine has been within easy reach at all times for the last 30 years or so.
    Very easy to train on your own as well.

Here is a video. My kind of ballet. Grace, style and speed:

User

It's been said earlier, but really, but a new gun and apply for the license right away. Yes there's a waiting time but the earlier you apply the earlier you'll get the license. In the meantime all the other advice above is probably good too.

Couldn’t add much more than that has already been posted but would recommend some Brazilian Jiu Jitsu coupled with a few other self defence layers such as a bullet resistant vest for that bump in the night and a good fixed blade? Panic button and whistle.

With everything said - best is to get another pistol, SLR or shotgun ASAP if you are looking for an equaliser should the person on the other end of your hallway have a pistol, SLR or shotgun.

User

Why a knife over a panga or short spear at home?

I remember the day I had a close encounter of the fifth kind and those two aliens were not only very skilled with knives but had way more plakkerkamp maga training than these urban coaches. They grew up with it and they'll make most trainers look booksmart. If they got close enough to where I had to get into full contact with one the other would have easily finished me off.

You need some distance when it is two or more and you need the reach to use the distance. IMO knives are for one on one or for carrying in public.

Big dogs in the house/bedroom area and a small pavement special thats alert as hell. BP vest and a good fixed blade.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    Why a knife over a panga or short spear at home?

I remember the day I had a close encounter of the fifth kind and those two aliens were not only very skilled with knives but had way more plakkerkamp maga training than these urban coaches. They grew up with it and they'll make most trainers look booksmart. If they got close enough to where I had to get into full contact with one the other would have easily finished me off.

You need some distance when it is two or more and you need the reach to use the distance. IMO knives are for one on one or for carrying in public.

Entertaining.

Lots of truth to this.

I would want to avoid getting within arms reach in a home defence situation.

Sent from my LM-K410 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast