Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Only SD gun handed in, what now???

Roboguard or similar wireless beams at entry points inside. Also just as a side note we don't have a domestic and yes its' sometimes a shlep, but when the first hard lockdown eased our farm was the only one not broken into and stuff stolen in our road👍

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum View Post
    Buy another FA...and jump through the hoops and be proactive this time around!! In the meantime what ever is accessible to you and train to be proficient to use it!!
    Pretty much this... but in the meanwhile a small hand axe, carpenters hammer or a length of galvanised steel pipe can work. Or a machete, a garden fork or a baseball bat. Sure its not as cool as a crossbow but an axe in the face usually stops people from forcibly making their way into you room.

Power tip: If its too long or heavy to swing and get proper his while standing inside a doorway (as you would when fending off an attacker trying to get into your house) then its the wrong tool. This rules out golf clubs.

User

Interesting thread. Keep in mind that many of the folk who had to hand in their self-defence guns are probably old. So a lot of the solutions mentioned here may not work due to decreased strength, decreased sensory acuity, etc. How about a low-power (or youth) compound bow, using broadhead (or even ordinary field point) arrows, for someone who still has reasonable upper body strength? You would need to practice some to use it. That would be more practical than a crossbow, which takes too long to reload. That would obviously require enough of an early warning system (dogs, Roboguard, etc) to get in a position to deploy it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Gunman View Post
    It might sound silly but a spearhead on a 5ft shaft is very intimidating if you're on the receiving end. The stabbing motion is useful indoors in passageways, much easier to use than a weapon you have to swing.
    I actually have a united cutlery spear on a glass filled nylon handle that's about 4 foot long. It's deadly sharp

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Luker View Post
    Japanese Bokken used in martial arts. Mine has been within easy reach at all times for the last 30 years or so.
    Very easy to train on your own as well.

Here is a video. My kind of ballet. Grace, style and speed:

I also have a cold steel bokken made of their unbreakable polypropylene, you could break bones with it, but in a SHTF situation, and if I didn't have a firearm, I'd rather have a fully functional Japanese katana. (which I also own )

Eish !! My kids annexed mine leaving me to defend myself with a miserable 12 ga

If you're on a budget then think about the Cold Steel Machete range.

I went with the Cutlass Machete but looking back I should have gone with the Tactical Wakizashi Machete. I would go with a one handed option as then you can have the other hand free for like a shield or something if they have a knife.

There is also the Tactical Tanto Machete which is a bit shorter.

The only thing about the Cutlass is that only the first few centimeters of the top of the blade was sharpened so I put an edge further up to where I can run through someone quite comfortably, so it can be used as a slash or stab weapon.

User

Note sure if mentioned but I have read (will look for the article) and has been mentioned in other threads as well, but a FA is not the alpha of SD as one might think. For even those who have it, if there is a close contact situation it is pretty much useless, unless you have training, being able to use etc. Yes it has a deterrent value but I think a lot of people place undue confidence in a FA for SD.

Apart from the slight Hijack, sorry, I would say dog, beams/alarm, and using the latter not only when one goes to bed at night. Deterring someone from even getting in or making it as difficult as possible is nr 1 and unfortunately letting them rather search for someone else less prepared..

Training, Training and Training.

This may be a contentious one but...

If you have a competency for a handgun could you not buy a 2nd handgun and get a permission to store and keep it at hand at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast