Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Getting hunting rifle from SA to New Zealand

Try Blue Logistics.

I know they handle the importing of guns into SA. I'm sure they can handle the export.

http://www.blulogistics.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Most of the expats in Aus an NZ just took their reloading equipment and purchased new rifles. It is going to be very costly, lengthy time and frustrating to export.
    Unfortunately very true and my experience as well.

The problem was not on the Aus side, it was on the SA side. To import rifles into Aus is easy, to export them from SA is a headache of note, with a lot of the headache involving being completely ignored by tbe relevant authorities & dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by nkosi View Post
    Unfortunately very true and my experience as well.

The problem was not on the Aus side, it was on the SA side. To import rifles into Aus is easy, to export them from SA is a headache of note, with a lot of the headache involving being completely ignored by tbe relevant authorities & dealers.
    Have you done it? I have two rifles in SA that I thought I’d bring over at some point. Getting the PTA etc this side isn’t difficult, as you said.

Even if it cost me $1000 a gun to bring over, it’s cheaper than replacing them with scopes, slings etc.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Have you done it? I have two rifles in SA that I thought I’d bring over at some point. Getting the PTA etc this side isn’t difficult, as you said.

Even if it cost me $1000 a gun to bring over, it’s cheaper than replacing them with scopes, slings etc.
    Hi Skaaphaas

That was back in 2007 when all sorts of nonsense was going on with firearm ownership in SA.

Not sure what it is like now.

In the end I ran out of time and patience and sold the rifles there.

An old single shot Remington bolt action ln .22lr & an old Lee Enfield No.1 Mk111 so not very valuable, but they had a lot of sentimental value to me, having been my father's & having been tne first rifles I ever used.

How have you settled in here & what State are you living in?

User

User

Default Getting hunting rifle from SA to New Zealand

We used Legally Armed to do the work for us when I brought my grandfathers rifles over to NZ.

Easy part is getting an import permit this side, just go talk to your FAO with all the details and your FA licence and it will take about a week.

As Skaaphaas and Nkosi said, it’s the SA side which is difficult and costly, easiest is to use a Firearm lawyer to do the paperwork and get the export permit and arrange the shipping. Legally Armed were excellent and aware of all the pitfalls.

The other issue we came into was carriers, the only one at the time that would take it was emirates as there was an issue that if coming via Aus you needed an import and export permit there too even though it was just in transit.
    Emirates flew via Dubai so we could get around that issue.

Then you just go get it and clear through customs, as I said it was an inheritance there was no duty to pay.

Glad I did it though as, like yours, they were heirlooms and will be passed on to my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2