User

Default Are Silencers/Suppressors/Moderators 'Firearm Parts' ?

https://archive.opengazettes.org.za/...2007-08-22.pdf

Govt Gazette No. 30210:

Section 28.

Amendment of Section 94 of Act 60 of 2000

Section 94 of the principal Act is hereby amended by the substitution for subsection (1) of the following subsection:

"(1) For the purposes of this section, 'firearm part' means a slide, bolt or breech-block of a firearm, or a device designed to be attached to the barrel of a firearm in order to muffle or moderate the report of that firearm"

FCA 60
    Section 94. (2) No person may possess any firearm part unless he or she -
    (a) holds a licence in respect of a firearm capable of bearing that firearm part ...

Doesn't this mean I need to have a licenced firearm in order to purchase a silencer? If so then what about making my own? Do I need to be a licenced manufacturer or gunsmith?

Apologies if this has been addressed before.

Default Re: Are Silencers/Suppressors/Moderators 'Firearm Parts' ?

Well you can buy one for a Airsoft rifle or Air rifle also. Both of those does not even need a licenses. Except the Airrifle above a certain size.

User

Default Re: Are Silencers/Suppressors/Moderators 'Firearm Parts' ?

It is worrying that they are moving in this direction, but why would you want to own a silencer if you didn't have a firearm capable of bearing it?

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    It is worrying that they are moving in this direction, but why would you want to own a silencer if you didn't have a firearm capable of bearing it?
    Because I may find a great deal on a specific suppressor today, for that 223 I've submitted an application mid June 2020 for already :-/