Default LIFESPAN OF AMMUNITION

Morning Guys, apologies in advance if this is a stupid question but what is the yardstick in terms of ammo reliability, how long does it 'keep' (or basically how long until you have to replace it because it's now 'unreliable') and does the lifespan change with caliber? (i.e. does a shotgun shell last longer than a 9mm)

User

Default Re: LIFESPAN OF AMMUNITION

It depends on storage conditions. Carry ammo should ideally be replaced every six months or so, due to the shaking, racking, temp changes, sweat and oily contaminants which it can come into contact with.
    If it's stored in a cool, dry relatively constant temperature, then I do not think is really have an expiry date. I have fired off 303 cordite rounds dated around WW2 without issues.

Then I also have about 1000 rounds of 7.62x25 Polish ammo, dated 1952 which have been contaminated with water which are all dead.

Thanks Mic, noted and much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    It depends on storage conditions. Carry ammo should ideally be replaced every six months or so, due to the shaking, racking, temp changes, sweat and oily contaminants which it can come into contact with.
    If it's stored in a cool, dry relatively constant temperature, then I do not think is really have an expiry date. I have fired off 303 cordite rounds dated around WW2 without issues.

Then I also have about 1000 rounds of 7.62x25 Polish ammo, dated 1952 which have been contaminated with water which are all dead.

Banned

I have shot known 2nd W/W ammo with no issues, I have also shot 45 ACP ammo from Vietnam era that was a mixed bag off surprises.
    I of recent, am of the opinion - now read carefully and think about it.
    Center fire RIFLE ammunition is generally as good as they look.
    Every time I have had issues, the cases were corroded or the primers were green, there was power like residue in package etc If you find a 1945 non corrosive primer box of amunition that looks dull but otherwise good, they are likely going to fire perfectly. If there is even one in the packet that is corroded, the rest are all suspect as well.
    I have really really shot a lot of old ammunition and I feel if it is well stored, they will last for almost ever.

Shotgun ammo goes bad quickly and that is even last years ammo can have issues if dragged around on hunts etc

.22 ammo is the one that scares me some what - I have been gifted many thousands of rounds of .22 ammo over the years, I have received buckets and bank bags of mixed .22 ammo .
    This little ***** is a dirty bugger, they look good and go off well, they look good and split at the rim when fired(face full of pieces). Some fail to fire then when ejected lay on ground and fizz.
    I have even had cases break in half when firing and others tear off at the rim when ejecting. Old .22 ammo is not for playing with - ugly little f***s they are.

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I have shot known 2nd W/W ammo with no issues, I have also shot 45 ACP ammo from Vietnam era that was a mixed bag off surprises.
    I of recent, am of the opinion - now read carefully and think about it.
    Center fire RIFLE ammunition is generally as good as they look.
    Every time I have had issues, the cases were corroded or the primers were green, there was power like residue in package etc If you find a 1945 non corrosive primer box of amunition that looks dull but otherwise good, they are likely going to fire perfectly. If there is even one in the packet that is corroded, the rest are all suspect as well.
    I have really really shot a lot of old ammunition and I feel if it is well stored, they will last for almost ever.

Shotgun ammo goes bad quickly and that is even last years ammo can have issues if dragged around on hunts etc

.22 ammo is the one that scares me some what - I have been gifted many thousands of rounds of .22 ammo over the years, I have received buckets and bank bags of mixed .22 ammo .
    This little ***** is a dirty bugger, they look good and go off well, they look good and split at the rim when fired(face full of pieces). Some fail to fire then when ejected lay on ground and fizz.
    I have even had cases break in half when firing and others tear off at the rim when ejecting. Old .22 ammo is not for playing with - ugly little f***s they are.
    Why does shotgun ammo go bad quickly? I have some oldish stuff and one shell that was not stored properly started rusting on the case but that is about it.

Used to shoot my grandad's WWII .303 ammo and never had a misfire. Does cordite keep better than modern powder or is there no difference.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Why does shotgun ammo go bad quickly? I have some oldish stuff and one shell that was not stored properly started rusting on the case but that is about it. Used to shoot my grandad's WWII .303 ammo and never had a misfire. Does cordite keep better than modern powder or is there no difference.
    Normal cf ammo is hermetically sealed. Shotgun ammo not. Air and moisture can make its way past the crimp and wad quite easily.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Normal cf ammo is hermetically sealed. Shotgun ammo not. Air and moisture can make its way past the crimp and wad quite easily.
    they also seem to be banged around a bit more, and that seems to also cause more exposure to the atmosphere. A center fire round is hermetically sealed, preserved, a shotgun round is to me something like a bread bag with a knot in it as apposed to a Tupperware container.