Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Admin?!

User

Default Re: Admin?!

Quote Originally Posted by batman69 View Post
    Not sure if Steve has been banned or not. If he has been banned , that would be most unfortunate and an arbitrary abuse of power.
    My wild guess is that you haven't been in charge of any forum thus far. The reason for banning someone is usually either for grossly violating forum rules, or it may be the sum of minor violations, passive aggressive behaviour, nasty private messages you or I haven't seen nor them are ever discussed publicly, all added up until the levee breaks and you will be banned.

As a moderator and co-owner of a forum very much like this I can see the signs and I might give you a hint my friend: when you are walking on eggs, don't hop

I would've locked this conversation a long time ago, banned two persons for life and asked the rest kindly behave like they have thus far. Just a couple of rotten eggs spoil the whole basket, so they must be thrown to rot the compost, better sooner than later.

A moderator is your best friend if you let him be.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    My wild guess is that you haven't been in charge of any forum thus far. The reason for banning someone is usually either for grossly violating forum rules, or it may be the sum of minor violations, passive aggressive behaviour, nasty private messages you or I haven't seen nor them are ever discussed publicly, all added up until the levee breaks and you will be banned.

As a moderator and co-owner of a forum very much like this I can see the signs and I might give you a hint my friend: when you are walking on eggs, don't hop

I would've locked this conversation a long time ago, banned two persons for life and asked the rest kindly behave like they have thus far. Just a couple of rotten eggs spoil the whole basket, so they must be thrown to rot the compost, better sooner than later.

Fair point if that is/was the case. Agreed, I have not moderated on any forums. Tough job.

Sent from my LM-K410 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post

AK you have way more experience and wisdom than I and many here and I can not argue any points you made but as you pointed out there are other forums and they are run differently. Some will have more moderation and some less.

Users might be allowed to be more 'extravagant' on some and feel that they can do so on others which would lead to "banned two persons for life".
    In such a case I would feel it kind to PM members and point out their shortcomings in private but that would take lots of time. Even if it is practiced on larger forums it does not mean it is feasible everywhere. That is a decision every mod has to make for himself.

In the long run I understand forums and mods will do what is best for the forum but it is never a bad thing to remind them of a third person's views so here is mine.

User

Thank you batman for your kind reply and Meteor, I always value highly your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    In such a case I would feel it kind to PM members and point out their shortcomings in private but that would take lots of time.
    As I observe from my proverbial view from the gallery what was going on here, I find it most probable that in this case the roadmap was the longer, accumulation road and I'm quite sure that there has been private message interchange between the banned and the moderator before the banhammer eventually struck.

Also what we don't see, is the in the backstage communication between the members of the moderator team, or some of them: most of the time the ruling for someone being banned is a resolution of such counsel if one exists in practice.

And yes, moderating is a tough job, but not thankless: every time I get a PM from someone thanking for the good job as one, it gives me strength to continue on my selected path

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Hi guys,

I remember a time when our forum was run properly with Admin on hand to encourage okes to comply with the forum rules, close for sales threads once an item as been sold etc.

I have this unnerving feeling that I missed an event or something which caused our group to denigrate into a state of "lawlessness" lol.

I see for example okes posting in the for sale section without having the required 50 post minimum. The rationale behind this requirement is obvious. It gives the buyer a measure of comfort to know that he is dealing with one of his own ie. a honest, decent, reliable gun lover. If we do not follow and enforce this one simple rule we make ourselves vulnerable to the same rogue elements you find on gunafrica etc.

Just my 2c.

Sorry admin, don't make an example of me now

Hello Batman going forward as discussed
    1. you will let me know every sale you post so that I will comply with your opinion that sold items be closed.
    2. I will go through all your sales threads and tally the ones you confirmed sold and requested closed, which I doubt you bothered to do.
    3. I am usually active on GS till 3H00 SA time so if it's not done during the day it will be by the next morning.
    4. If possible confirm how many sales threads you started.

Thank you.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

What point?

Consider it an explanation of the Noise to Signal Ratio in drawing with colour crayons.

This thread has run its course.

Hi guys,

I remember a time when our forum was run properly with Admin on hand to encourage okes to comply with the forum rules, close for sales threads once an item as been sold etc.

I have this unnerving feeling that I missed an event or something which caused our group to denigrate into a state of "lawlessness" lol.

I see for example okes posting in the for sale section without having the required 50 post minimum. The rationale behind this requirement is obvious. It gives the buyer a measure of comfort to know that he is dealing with one of his own ie. a honest, decent, reliable gun lover. If we do not follow and enforce this one simple rule we make ourselves vulnerable to the same rogue elements you find on gunafrica etc.

Just my 2c.

Sorry admin, don't make an example of me now

Batman69

Going through your numerous for sale threads, I came across 9 sales in one month alone. ( 5 ads on 7/7, 1 ad on 3/7, 1 ad 11/8...)
    You flagrantly disregard the rules and you go against the spirit of using the privilege of free "hobbyist related" sales.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12