Thread: R1 Bayonets

User

Default R1 Bayonets

Does anybody know the significance of the difference between these two supposedly R1 bayonet scabbards in the attached photo? - the rounded edges at the end of the scabbard are of a different design. From the photo with the double sided tape it seems the bayonets were mounted in a display.

My PAAA book states that the scabbard was later manufactured with a "Collar Irregularly Formed" in order to standardize the bayonet scabbard across the bayonets used on R1, Uzi and Lee Enfield Mark 4 No 2 in SADF inventory, so maybe that is the difference though the photo does not show the collars clearly.

I am interested in obtaining the correct bayonet for my R1.

Attachment 32727

User

Default Re: R1 Bayonets

This is a 1984 Army issue bayonet before the Commands upgrade to R4, The Scabbard is a plastic material.

https://imgur.com/ylwimng

https://imgur.com/pAce2vG

Quote Originally Posted by paulnb View Post
    Does anybody know the significance of the difference between these two supposedly R1 bayonet scabbards in the attached photo? - the rounded edges at the end of the scabbard are of a different design. From the photo with the double sided tape it seems the bayonets were mounted in a display.

My PAAA book states that the scabbard was later manufactured with a "Collar Irregularly Formed" in order to standardize the bayonet scabbard across the bayonets used on R1, Uzi and Lee Enfield Mark 4 No 2 in SADF inventory, so maybe that is the difference though the photo does not show the collars clearly.

I am interested in obtaining the correct bayonet for my R1.

Attachment 32727
    The top scabbard is made from steel, while the bottom 1 is a later manufactured plastic scabbard. When issued with a bayonet it was luck of the draw, which model you would receive. If you cannot find what your looking for, PM me, I'v got a bunch, plastice and steel scabbards for sale.

User

Thank you both for the feedback.