Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Parker Hale 375 - Action Question. (Picture Heavy)

My 375 H&H Parker Hale's license was recently approved. Information on these rifles on the internet is rather scarce and somewhat confusing. From what I could google I believe that it is the 1100M model. Parker Hale apparently built rifles on a variety of actions but mostly Santa Barbara and military Mauser action. This is obviously not a military Mauser action but it doesn't look like the Santa Barbara actions I am used to either. Does anyone have an idea of the action's origins?

The only markings not visible in the pictures is a BNP stamp on the left side of the front receiver ring.

The rifle appears to be well made, the stock is bedded and there is an abundance of recoil lugs (3 in total) probably because the same model was made in .458 win mag. The front (barrel mounted) recoil lug does cause poi to move higher when the barrel gets hot, this start happening from the 3'd shot and then get worse fast. Weight with scope and sling is 4.5kg which is a good weight for a .375 H&H (the rifle is comfortable to shoot). Open sights are the correct height for the stock and apart from fitting a much larger front bead I will not change them. The scope mount returns to zero exactly when removed and replaced, unlike the Warne mounts on my 9.3x62 which returns to close enough for bushveld work.

Apart from the front sight bead the only other changes I plan, currently, is to fit a 45° safety, maybe fit a Timney trigger and find out from a reputable gunsmith if the barrel mounted recoil lug is really necessary.

Banned

Default Re: Parker Hale 375 - Action Question. (Picture Heavy)

Below is a K98 action - I just Googled M98 action.

Your rifle does have the 3 way flag safety. Hopefully somebody might shed some light on it if they have a similar action.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygKegUIARC0AQ

User

The two photos showing the bottom of the action definitely gives the impression that the action was cast. That, together with the lack of thumb cut-out on the left hand side does seem to suggest "some sort of Santa Barbara" action (purely because those properties are the same as the Santa Barbara actions used by Musgrave). Having said that BRNO ZKK actions were cast and does not have a thumb cutout, and this clearly isn't a ZKK, so it may also not be a Santa Barbara! The safety is Mauser, and the bolt stop/ejector almost look like the dinky rotating thumbwheel/blade type that Musgrave used on their own designed actions.

Perhaps search for different cast Mauser actions, maybe you find something similar?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    The safety is Mauser, and the bolt stop/ejector almost look like the dinky rotating thumbwheel/blade type that Musgrave used on their own designed actions.

Perhaps search for different cast Mauser actions, maybe you find something similar?
    The bolt stop/ejector reminds me of the ones on the older Sako rifles (Finnbear and Forester) rifles. According to an internet article on the Parker Hale 1100M, the ejector was moved rearwards to make it easier to chamber a long cartridge like the .375 H&H. How true this is I do not know as I have seen plenty of .375's built on 98 actions. The article neglect to mention who made the action. Interestingly the magazine accommodates 4 magnum rounds whereas most converted 98 actions only take 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    The front (barrel mounted) recoil lug does cause poi to move higher when the barrel gets hot
    I'm not convinced this is because of the lug.

There is something else going on, and my money is on the bedding, because there is an imprint of the barrel profile in the stock at the front lug.

The POI shift suggests that an existing tension is being made worse with heat.

I would re-do the bedding job, making sure the entire receiver if bedded, not just the front.

Don't be shy to full-length bed a big bore rifle. Free floating serves no practical purpose when the steel is properly fitted to the wood, like it will be if properly bedded.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    I'm not convinced this is because of the lug.

There is something else going on, and my money is on the bedding, because there is an imprint of the barrel profile in the stock at the front lug.

The POI shift suggests that an existing tension is being made worse with heat.

I would re-do the bedding job, making sure the entire receiver if bedded, not just the front.

Don't be shy to full-length bed a big bore rifle. Free floating serves no practical purpose when the steel is properly fitted to the wood, like it will be if properly bedded.
    Thanks, I will look into that.

User

Parker hale used some leftover bolts after the war to create a lot of rifles. They repurposed Springfield 1903 bolts and i think Mauser bolts. They also created their own in house actions that where cast for those bolts. I have a friend that has a Parker hale in 30-06. we did some research to find out what action it is. His one is equipped with a modified Springfield bolt. if i am not mistaken some actions where cast in Spain for Parker Hale. Have to look if i can find that info again.

Banned

Parker Hale was in my opinion much like Musgrave was in this country, they used what there was, outsourced some and made what they could.
    The Parker Hales range from plain good working to really well made.
    I want to study those photo's later.

User

There was also a few Parker hales made in the USA by a different company sub contracting or something along those lines, they had a bad rep about exploding due to the actions being weak and crap.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    There was also a few Parker hales made in the USA by a different company sub contracting or something along those lines, they had a bad rep about exploding due to the actions being weak and crap.
    This one was made by Parker-Hale Ltd. Birmingham England.

I'm trying to find out as much about Parker Hale rifles as possible so I would appreciate a link to your source for this information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast